Controlling two TiVos with one remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling two TiVos with one remote

If you have a TiVo remote with a DVR 1/2 switch (located below the PAUSE button), you can use it to control two separate TiVo DVRs.

Here's how...

1 Start by setting your television so you're watching TiVo #1. (Usually this is accomplished by pressing either the input, source, or TV/Video button on your TV.) Cover the IR window on TiVo #2. (Do this carefully, or you'll accidentally program TiVo #2 at the same time.)

2 Point your remote control at TiVo #1 and press the TiVo button. From TiVo Central, navigate to System Information (Messages & Setup:System Information). Scroll down until you see the Remote Address.

3 Make sure the DVR 1/2 switch on the remote is set to 1. Aim the remote away from the TiVo and block the front with your hand or a pillow. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the remote's red light remains on. Let go of the buttons.

4 Point the remote at TiVo #1 and assign the TiVo a number using one of the numbered buttons on the TiVo, 1-9. (For example, "1"). Nothing will change on the TiVo screen.

5 Press the RIGHT arrow. On the TiVo, the Remote Address should now be assigned. Press the TiVo button.

Good work! You're halfway there...

6 Change the input source on your TV so that it displays DVR #2. Uncover from IR window of DVR#2 and cover the IR window of TiVo #1.

7 Point your remote control at TiVo #2 and press the TiVo button. From TiVo Central, navigate to System Information (Messages & Setup:System Information). Scroll down until you see the Remote Address.

8 Slide the DVR 1/2 switch to 2. Aim the remote away from the TiVo and block the front again with your hand or a pillow. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the remote's red light remains on. Let go of the buttons.

9 Point the remote at TiVo #2 and assign the TiVo a number using one of the numbered buttons on the TiVo, 1-9. (For example, "2"). Nothing will change on the TiVo screen.

10 Press the RIGHT arrow. On the TiVo, the Remote Address should now be assigned. Press the TiVo button.

Congratulations! You're done.

Resetting the remote completely...

Should you ever want to reset the DVR switch so that both sides will control any TiVo DVR, perform the following steps:

1 Slide the remote's DVR 1/2 switch to 1.

2 Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on and remains steady.

3 Press 0. The red light at the end of the remote control will flash.

4 Slide the remote's DVR 1/2 switch to 2 and repeat steps 2 and 3.

Your remote control has been reset and will now control any unaddressed TiVo.
    Last edited by WK-Jason; 11-08-2006, 03:49 PM.
    That's all there is to it!

What remotes will control more than one brand Tivo, i.e., is there a remote that will control a Sony and a Humax? Is there a remote that will control those AND a Tivo DT?

Comment

Sony brand TiVo dvrs need to use either the specific model they shipped with or with a true universal like the Harmony:

http://www.weaknees.com/harmony-659-remote.php

http://www.weaknees.com/harmony-880-details.php

For controlling two TiVos that originally used the peanut-style remote, you can try the cheaper one recommended one on this page:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-peanut-remote.php

Keep in mind that certain DVD functionality will be missing from that model. The remote specific for the Humax DVD TiVo is here:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-dvd-remote.php

...but you can't control two TiVos with that one.
      That's all there is to it!

Comment

One Remote Issues With S3 & TivoHD

I programmed the glo remote that came with my S3 so that I can use it with my S3 and my new TivoHD by using the 1-2 dvr switch. The S3 is set for 1 and the THD set for 2 in my system information.

If I have the same show set to record on both tivo's (I am still deciding how to set both tivos for recording) and I elect to stop the recording on tivo 2, the same show on tivo 1 stops recording. I have checked that the dvr switch is set to the correct tivo.

This seems to happen all of the time. Should I reprogram the remote? Any other suggestion?

By the way, with 107 HD hours and 107 HD hours in each, I am in Tivo nirvana (except for the remote issue).

Stan

Comment

You might want to watch what happens on each TiVo as you press the remote buttons. Press one button, then switch inputs on your TV to see what has changed. Is one or more buttons controlling both DVRs?

Comment

Working...
          X