X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series1 Hardware and Problem FAQ

Typical problems with Series1 standalone TiVo DVRs

Series1 standalone TiVos are basically the Philips HDR series, and the Sony SVR-2000.

Stuck on "Powering Up ..."

This generally means that the TiVo can't read what it needs off the hard drive. In most cases, that just means that a new hard drive (properly formatted for your exact model of TiVo) will do the trick.

Stuttering, freezing, rebooting

Same as above. Your hard drive is likely failing, but not yet totally dead.

Modem dialing problems

This can be either a broken internal modem or a bad hard drive. Generally, if it begins to dial and connect, then the problem is a failing hard drive. If it doesn't get that far, you usually have a bad modem. The modems on this series of units have had a pretty high failure rate. You can buy a replacement external TiVo modem.

Another possibility is that you have a VoIP system (like Vonage), and your modem is incompatible with it. See our modem page for more details about ways around this.

Audio stops working until reboot

This problem is also isolated to these models, and is generally a failing power supply. You can purchase a replacement power supply for these units.

No video out at all - not even a "Powering Up ..." message

This is generally a bad power supply and a replacement should fix it.

Blocky or melting screen images

This could be a bad drive, but might be a bad tuner and/or motherboard problem. It's generally worth trying a new hard drive first. If it's a bad motherboard, you'd need TiVo and/or the manufacturer to help repair it.
    Been here a long time . . .

...and one more...

Bought a Sony Sat T-60 off of Ebay, got the image off the included hard drive, and used Hinsdale instructions to put in 2 Maxtor 160s (ordered 2 120s, but they sent 160s. Not complaining.) to give me 243 hours. Everything went fine, until I went to make the phone call. It kept saying "phone is busy", even after numerous tries over 2 days. I started to think I had been sold a unit with a bad modem, then decided to re-read the phone troubleshooting. I found the hint that said, change the phone number the receiver calls. It found several numbers in my area, and after choosing one, it worked fine.

When in doubt, read the instructions.

Comment

I was an early adopter of Tivo, and purchased their lifetime service deal, but the hard drive began to fail at about the five year mark. I couldn't replace it since Phillips no longer made the small drives, but was glad to upgrade to a 80G refurbished replacement they sold me, and the service plan was transfered to the new machine.

Three years later, the hard drive on this unit is failing, too. Phillips says I can get it repaired for $180 (or upgrade to a drive double the size for another $30). If I buy your drive replacement kit, I'll save money. However, will I then lose my lifetime service?

gamera23

Comment

Sorry

Just found the info I need in your instructions. You'll likely be getting an order from me soon!

Comment

Originally posted by gamera23 View Post
          I was an early adopter of Tivo, and purchased their lifetime service deal, but the hard drive began to fail at about the five year mark. I couldn't replace it since Phillips no longer made the small drives, but was glad to upgrade to a 80G refurbished replacement they sold me, and the service plan was transfered to the new machine.

Three years later, the hard drive on this unit is failing, too. Phillips says I can get it repaired for $180 (or upgrade to a drive double the size for another $30). If I buy your drive replacement kit, I'll save money. However, will I then lose my lifetime service?

gamera23
          Lifetime is tied to the motherboard - not the drive. So you'll still have that after a drive change.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have a sony SVR-2000 that has been upgraded with a Weeknees kit (thank you very much) that has been in use for a while. The modem is deteriorating. For about a year after a power surge we have had to unplug the unit for normal operation and only plug in for manual program info updates. This was due to a failure that caused the TiVo to inhibit incoming calls. This was a pain to deal with, but a decent workaround. Recently the unit has been unable to connect. I suspect the unit's modem now has a hard failure.

My question is if anyone knows where I can get a service manual for the beast. I am an electronics engineer with the competence and equipment to perform any necessary repair. All I need is the service info.

Comment

Working...
            X