transfer troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer troubles

For several months now, I haven't been able to transfer programs from my Series 2 DT TiVo to my other Series 2 TiVo. I have a wireless network (Belkin Wireless G router, with two 802.11b adapters). When I first set up the network, I could transfer with no problem. Now, it will start the transfer but never complete it, even after a day or two. It will usually transfer a portion of the movie then stop (sometimes the TiVo will reboot on its own while transferring). The Series 2 DT adapter shows a 75% strength and the other one is usually around 95%. I've replaced the hard drive recently and tried several other options I found online - unplugged wireless phones, turned off the 'multi-room viewing' option, forced a TiVo call then turned back on the 'multi-room viewing' option, etc. The only thing I haven't tried is a wired option. Is the problem with the Belkin system (even though it seems to be working fine otherwise)? Does anyone have any other suggestions for what has become a very frustrating problem? Thanks!

Wired is generally faster, but wired or wireless should finish.

But the rebooting sounds like the problem and is almost always a bad hard drive. Which unit was rebooting and was that the one where you replaced the hard drive?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I just replaced the hard drive in the TCD540040 with a WeaKnees 160 gb drive, which is the unit which was having trouble making a transfer. Figured that would take care of the problem, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Today I thought I'd see what happened if I transferred the other way -- to a Series 2 DT (TCD 649080)-- and it ended up rebooting and not completing the transfer either. Tomorrow I'm going to bring home some ethernet cable and try it wired, just to see if it does the job that way. If it doesn't, any suggestions on my next move?

Comment

OK - but since both units are involved in the transfer, how do you know the problem isn't with the other unit? Which unit reboots during the transfer?

Comment

I've tried transferring both ways, and in both cases the receiving machine usually ends up rebooting. I haven't had success with a transfer in either direction. I wasn't able to try the wired option today, but I'll post a response and let you know how that goes when I do.

Comment

OK - I have to say that rebooting is almost always a sign of either a drive problem, or a power problem. You've replaced one drive. If that machine still reboots, you should try a UPS.

Tell us how the wired test goes.

Comment

Well, here's the latest. I'm not sure how to do the wired test. I was going to run ethernet from both machines to the router, but then realized that my Series 2 doesn't have a port for that option. Not sure what to do next. In the meantime, I tried one more transfer from the new machine to the old machine (which has the new drive) which again ended with the TiVo rebooting. Sunday, I noticed the wireless on the Series 2 wasn't detected even though it had been untouched. It detected it after a forced restart. The "undetected adapter" problem has happened once or twice before. Is there any way changing to a TiVo wireless adapter would make a difference (even though the two adapters I'm now using are showing a 75% and 95% signal)? The only other thing I have tried is a UPS. Thanks for your insights!

Comment

Working...
              X