TiVo Deactivation - Series 1 vs Series 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TiVo Deactivation - Series 1 vs Series 2

What kind of functionality does a TiVo have after it is deactivated?

I have a Sony SVR-2000 and a Sony SVR-3000. I am going to tranfer the lifetime service from one of the units to a new Series 3. After the 1 year of free service, will I be able to use the old unit for manual recordings, like a VCR?

A person at TiVo customer service thought that the Series 1 SVR-2000 would still be able to a call in to set the clock, but that the Series 2 SVR-3000 would be unable to make new recordings at all.

This would mean that although it is much older, I should keep the lifetime service on the SVR-2000.

What do you think?

The person at TiVo was right. The SVR2000 should still get its clock set and it should still work in manual recording mode, and be able to pause live TV, but it won't get any guide data, so season passes and the like won't work.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

It's good to know that the SVR-2000 will still have some utility. Thanks!

Comment

I need help. I inherited a Sony TIVO Series I, SVR2000. I want to be able to manual record it, because the location that the unit is in has no phone line. Can someone show me how to do it. Right now, when the unit is power on, it says subscription is required. Thanks in advance.

Comment

You may need to dial it in to get it past that screen, but afterward, it should manually record just fine.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I use a very long phone cord to get it hook up to the phone to download the cable channels and frequencies, but once done, it says Activation required. I heard that one needs Software version 1.3 or does it matter?

Comment

There are some late-production units that did require activation, so you must have one of those.

Comment

Thanks Michael.

Comment

Working...
                X