Need simple drive replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need simple drive replacement

I have read (most) everything I can find, and the instructions for drive replacement seem more than I need, so I don't what to follow.

I have a DirecTivo series2 Hughes SDVR40. I am trying to replace the Single drive with another Single drive (80GB). I don't want dual drives, just the straight replacement.

I have an 80GB drive purchased, formatted it as FAT32. What more do I need to do? Everything I read is for some type of dual drive configuration.

Please help!
    Lost in the desert

You certainly don't need to use dual drives, but you WILL need to take the drive image from the old drive and copy it onto the new one. Instructions should be available here:

http://www.upgrade-instructions.com
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

Why?

If thats true, then how do companies like Weeknees sell drives that you only have to unplug your old drive and plug in the new one?

Comment

I think something got lost in translation here. You DO have to format the new drive with the correct OS using Linux.
        That's all there is to it!

Comment

I did. I formatted the drive in windows fat32. Is linux fat32 different? Looking at the instructions, it appears that there are only instructions for copying data from one drive to another. I did not see anything about formatting the drive, though obviously it must be formatted some how.

Comment

Simply formatting a drive in Windows isn't necessary or even enough. The proper software must be loaded onto the drive for it to work; that is what weaKnees does.

Comment

Working...
            X