Want to add LAN connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to add LAN connectivity

I am looking for a way to provide LAN connectivity to my DIRECTV TIVO series 2 box so I canconnect it to the home network. I have seen this included in Hard drive upgrade packages, but not stand alone. I just want to connect the box to my LAN, HD is big enough. Any help greatly appreciated.

Those hacks are out there, but they are just that: hacks. They really add a lot of instability to the system, so we don't recommend them unless:

-you have a bunch of Linux experience

-you can handle it if/when your TiVo goes down and you lose your recordings

Most of our customers just want a solid box that sits there and records, then has content for them when they want to watch it.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Over at the 9thtee.com I found a USB Ethernet dapter for Series 2 Tivos. Has anyone tried this out?

Comment

For Series 2? We have those also - that's just USB to ethernet, and ours are actually 2.0. The issue is the software on the TiVo. If you have a DirecTV model, the software won't recongize that adapter at all.

Comment

Roger....here is a link to some software they sell

http://www.9thtee.com/tivo-ptvnet.htm

It says it loads drivers for te ethernet adapter. Are you familiar with this? DOo you sell a wireless adapter for series 2?

Comment

Yeah - those are the hacks that we consider to be far too unstable for prime time. If you don't mind some downtime and some Linux work, this is something you can try. If you want your TiVo to just work when you want to watch TV, this isn't a good idea.

Comment

Ok, so how do I get this $600 dollar networkable box to network? I am pretty commputer savvy and not afraid to dive in, just need a nudge in the right direction. At this point I know where to find hardware, where to I get the info to set it up? i.e drivers etc

Why does getting a frickin DTV TIVO box networked seem like braking into Fort Knox? My cable buddies are network ready right out of the box. A bit frusrating!

Thanks!

Comment

Try googling Tivo Zipper.

Comment

Series 1 (PTV100) Network not working

I have a series 1 (PTV100) that has an ethernet Edge card on the motherboard from 9thtee. I've had this thing for about 5 years. Recently the tivo box has been packed away for 2 years and now I've brought it out again (I moved). Trying to set it back up again but it won't connect to the Tivo Service (I have a lifetime on the box). I called Tivo to make sure (via serial number) that everything is ok with the service and it is. So what I use to do is connect a wireless bridge to back of tivo and then to my home network. When that bridge failed I started running a line once a week directly to the Tivo for updates. Now when I attempt to connect either via a new WET54g bridge or direct Ethernet I get Failed, Tivo Service unavailable. In checking, my Tivo box gets an IP address and I can ping it from the router. Not sure where to go to next. What I'm trying to do is setup again to change to Cable setup. Does this have to be done by modem first? Because my modem is fried and that's why I went network to begin with. Any help would be appreciated.

-J

Comment

Cant I just make a USB direct connection and have my laptop recognize the incoming component as a HDD?

Comment

I have a Series 2 stand alone, I networked it to my PC with the TiVo wireless. Bought it at Radio Shack and works great so far. I've downloaded the TiVo To Go on the my desktop and just finished transfering a show to my desktop...haven't watched it or transfer to a dvd disc yet.

Comment

Originally posted by varugger View Post
                        I have a series 1 (PTV100) that has an ethernet Edge card on the motherboard from 9thtee. I've had this thing for about 5 years. Recently the tivo box has been packed away for 2 years and now I've brought it out again (I moved). Trying to set it back up again but it won't connect to the Tivo Service (I have a lifetime on the box). I called Tivo to make sure (via serial number) that everything is ok with the service and it is. So what I use to do is connect a wireless bridge to back of tivo and then to my home network. When that bridge failed I started running a line once a week directly to the Tivo for updates. Now when I attempt to connect either via a new WET54g bridge or direct Ethernet I get Failed, Tivo Service unavailable. In checking, my Tivo box gets an IP address and I can ping it from the router. Not sure where to go to next. What I'm trying to do is setup again to change to Cable setup. Does this have to be done by modem first? Because my modem is fried and that's why I went network to begin with. Any help would be appreciated.

-J
                        I have a similar situation except that I did not use the bridge. I used a nibbler to cut a hole in the back of the Series 1 and installed a network jack. I can plug in my network cable and do my login. I had to go back in and set the strange code to say use the network instead of the phone. Additionally, it fails occasionally the first time I try to do the dial up (I connect / disconnect the cable). I just try it again and it works.

JWC

Comment

FYI, the code is:

,#401

Which is:

pause-enter-4-0-1

on the remote.

Comment

Working...
                          X