new model TiVos with DVD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new model TiVos with DVD??

Several times a day I seem to get asked variations on the same theme..."Is there an HD TiVo with a built-in DVD burner?" "How about a dual-tuner TiVO with DVD?" "How about a Directv TiVo with built-in burner?" Or I get an even more hopeful (and less realistic) "Can you add a DVD burner inside my TiVo?" or "Can you make my DVD TiVo record in HD?"

Answer to all of the above: I'm afraid not.

Aside from the uphill legal battle involved in adding DVD recording capabilty to a unit with all-digital content, just the space required to burn HD material would probably envolve Blue Ray technology (very expensive still!). As much as we love the DRT400 and 800, we are sincerely doubtful about seeing any more products coming out of TiVo with this amazing capability. These models are already out of production, and there don't seem to be any plans to start a new generation. Once these are gone, that's all she wrote.

But go ahead and keep asking...

You never know.
    That's all there is to it!

Can you maybe humor me?

Hi,

I have basic cable - don't even have digital cable yet.

If I purchase the "HD" / Series 3 unit, upgrade to digital cable, and even buy an HD tv:
    1) Is there an "output port" / USB / Firewire / Other device that could stream the audio and video out to a capture program on my computer that I could THEN burn to DVD?

2) Aren't the series 2's and DVDs as we know them just about obsolete now?

Thanks!

Destrehan Dave (rank, raw newbie!)

Comment

1 - We don't know of any PC inputs that can read the HDMI output, but they may be out there. There's no way to do it over USB or FireWire. But if you can get it to your PC from your Series3, then you can burn it, I suppose.

2 - Obsolete? Not really - the only thing they can't do is to HD.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

If Not Hdmi, Is There Any Possibility Of Recording 'standard' Output To A Pc?

Comment

Sure - there are lots of PC capture cards that can read 480i via S-Video or composite (yellow) video, plus audio.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
          X