Multiswitch for DirecTV DVRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiswitch for DirecTV DVRs

I have a three-sat Directv dish with four receivers (maxed out in current configuration). Two of the receivers are DVRs and I need to add second lines to these two in order to watch one program and record another simultaneously. Is there a user-installable multiswitch I can buy to split my signal at the wall inside the house, a la cable splitters? I don't want to have to drill holes in my exterior walls to run more lines into the house, if I can avoid it.

There's supposed be something coming that'll do what you want with an HR20 or other compatible equipment. I think the acronym for it is SWIM. But it won't work with the older equipment, from what I hear. For your current set up, you'd need feel all lines from the dish into a multiswitch and then pull your feeds off of that. If your lines all enter the house at the same point, you could maybe connect the multiswitch inside and then distribute from there.
    That's all there is to it!

Comment

You want a Zinwell WB68 wideband multiswitch. It's about $45 (although some places jack the price way up). Take the 4 current outputs from your dish and plug into one side of the WB68, plug up to 8 receivers into the other side. Do not (repeat NOT) terminate the unused outputs, or you will short out the power from your receivers. If you need more than 8 output, there is a 16 output version, but it also requires some splitters since you have to split the 4 dish outputs into 2 sets of 4 each, Note the WB68 will work with either a 3- or 5-LNB setup.

Comment

If all four of the current cables are going into the house at the same place, you could put a multiswitch there to get more leads inside the house, and then wire from there.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X