Failed Daily Call After Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Daily Call After Upgrade

I bought a reconditioned HD112 on E-bay 5 or 6 years ago and immediately had a friend upgrade it with a Maxtor 120 GB drive. In July, the unit began to stutter and pixelate on both playback and live TV.

All the reading I did suggested that it was a HD problem, so I bought a WD 160 GB drive and used the Hinsdale How-To and MFSTOOLS 2.0 to copy our recordings from the previous two drives to the single new one. The unit seemed to work fine, for about three days, until it froze and refused to get past the first black screen on startup.

I repeated the process, and had the same result. This time, before it froze, I noticed that it wasn’t completing its daily call. A Google search found a similar problem described on a different forum and suggested a “kickstart.”

I put the original drives back in and had the same problem of not being able to complete a call, until after the kickstart and then it worked fine, except for the old stuttering problem.

I repeated the backup procedure again, hoping that the kickstart had fixed the problem, and restored the image, without saving the recordings this time.

I’m still having problems completing a call, despite several kickstarts with the new drive. The unit lists “Last call status: failed while loading series.” The kickstarts seem to postpone the three-day freeze.

The commands I used were:
    mfsbackup –6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc /dev/hdb
    mfsrestore –r 4 –s 127 –zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
    mfsadd –r 4 –x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

Do you have any advice to help me get my Tivo back?

Thanks,

Craig

I really think you've got a corrupt image. The problems with the old drive are essentially carrying over to the new drive, since the tools can't get a complete copy of the OS. If you'd like, we offer services where we can format the 160 with a fresh image for your model. Email us at [email protected].
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X