Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting TiVo to computer using wireless

Hi,

I live close to my campus wireless network, and I use it to connect my home computer. I just bought a TiVo box, and had hoped to connect it directly to my computer and through it to the campus network and thus let TiVo download data that way. But I'm unable to find any guides on how to acomplish this.

You just need a wireless adapter for the unit. We have and recommend the TiVo Wireless G adapter.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      You just need a wireless adapter for the unit. We have and recommend the TiVo Wireless G adapter.
      Thanks, but I was picturing using a network cable.

I use a special cantenna antenna in one window to get the campus WiFi signal to my computer. So I can't just set it up so TiVo can talk to the campus network independent of my computer.

Comment

So you'd probably need a wireless bridge to get a network connection in your room then. I don't really know what you'd need for that, but you need some way to convert the WiFi to ethernet.

Comment

This technique looked promising.

http://blogs.msdn.com/dawate/archive...onnection.aspx

Comment

If you try it, tell us how it goes.

Comment

Got it all working great! Got a bit confused on some of the instructions in the web page, so I just hoped that my default settings were alright and went ahead and hooked it up using a hub, and it fired up first try.

I amazed myself, actually. The TiVo phone service guy thought it couldn't be done, but I stubbornly ploughed ahead, not wanting a land-line telephone in my house.

Comment

Working...
              X