Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directv from Qwest

Hello,

I am moving to an apartment complex with Directv from Qwest. I have an existing Tivo Series 2 box that I have used to record digital cable. I have some Weaknees specific questions that I hope to get an answer for...

1) If I purchase an HR20 made by Weaknees is it going to work with the receiver I get from Qwest? With digital cable I just route digital cable box through the Tivo and it works without contacting the cable company. Will I be able to do this with the Weaknees purchased unit? Or will I have to contact Directv, and if I do contact Directv will they have a problem because I didn't lease the unit through them?

2) How much HD content will I be able to get on my Qwest receiver? I have read about not getting the new HD channels unless the dish on my complex is upgraded. Is any Qwest Directv content currently in HD available on older dishes (I don't know anything about the dish on the complex I am moving into). I am particularly interested in sports HD content such as Sunday Ticket. If the new channels are obscure I won't care, but if there are built in limitations that will prevent me from receiving any HD content it will help determine the type of tv I buy.

3) Do the Directv tivos sold by Weaknees work without contacting Directv? I am also considering buying a Directv Tivo Series 2 and plugging it in instead of purchasing an HR20, or is this not a workable solution?

Angry Geek

1. The HR20 will work on its own; you will not use a separate receiver from QWEST. You should probably confirm that you can activate units aquired elsewhere with QWEST, but customers of ours have not had a problem in the past.

2. I don't know what QWEST is sending out these days. If you can post a model number, we can tell you. If you aren't getting HD, then you may have an R15 with 100 hours. If you don't have the right dish, then you won't even get certain stations. However, with NFL Sunday Ticket, you would just have to get those games in standard definition.

3. You have to call DIRECTV to activate any receiver. There is no way around this. You cannot connect a Series2 into an HR20. It won't work. You need just a basic, non-DVR receiver to work with yoru Series2.

Comment

Working...
    X