mfsadd Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mfsadd Error

Just replaced my original (Series 2 - 24004A) 40gig "A" drive with a new Samsung 250gig, using Hinsdale's Upgrade Configuration #4 and the LBA48 boot CD. Everything went smooth until the final "mfsadd" step, which threw an error.

Drives are setup as:
    hda - existing "A" drive
    hdb - existing "B" drive
    hdc - new "A" drive

I let the dd copy (from hda to hdc) run overnight and this morning tried doing the mfsadd. Here's what's on my screen now:

/# mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb
    /dev/hdc10: Success
    mfs_load_volume_header: mfsvol_read_data: Input/output error
    Unable to open MFS drives

The instructions say that after running mfsadd "...will report the results and size of your drives." What the heck do I do now?????

(BTW, I really don't like bugging the WeaKnees folks with this problem since I didn't buy the drive from them, but I'm stuck. At least I did buy the TwinBreeze Bracket/Kit and 160gig "B" drive from them 2 years ago, and a set of replacement fans last month...)
    Last edited by johnmsch; 11-30-2006, 07:44 AM.

Originally posted by johnmsch View Post
    Just replaced my original (Series 2 - 24004A) 40gig "A" drive with a new Samsung 250gig, using Hinsdale's Upgrade Configuration #4 and the LBA48 boot CD. Everything went smooth until the final "mfsadd" step, which threw an error.

Drives are setup as:
    hda - existing "A" drive
    hdb - existing "B" drive
    hdc - new "A" drive

It sounds like you don't have a good copy of your original A drive. It's possible that the original A drive is failing and can no longer be copied. You should probably run a non-destructive manufacturers diagnostic on it.

mfsinfo /dev/hda /dev/hdb and mfsinfo /dev/hdc /dev/hdb may also provide useful information. If the first works, but the second doesn't, it tells you you don't have a clean copy of the original A drive.

You could try using dd_rescue instead of dd. It can sometimes recover data from a failing drive when dd can't.

Finally, you could create a "shrunk" backup of the original A+B and try to restore that to the new drive. It won't have recordings, but if it works, at least you'll have a working tivo again.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-JSP View Post
      mfsinfo /dev/hda /dev/hdb and mfsinfo /dev/hdc /dev/hdb may also provide useful information. If the first works, but the second doesn't, it tells you you don't have a clean copy of the original A drive.

You could try using dd_rescue instead of dd. It can sometimes recover data from a failing drive when dd can't.
      Yep. The first mfsinfo worked, but the second gave errors saying:
      Primary volume header corrupt, trying backup.
      Secondary volume header corrupt, giving up.
      mfs_load_volume_header: Bad checksum.
      Segmentation fault

I tried to run dd_rescue, but it says command not found. Should I just try the dd again?

Comment

Yep. The first mfsinfo worked, but the second gave errors saying:
        Primary volume header corrupt, trying backup.
        Secondary volume header corrupt, giving up.
        mfs_load_volume_header: Bad checksum.
        Segmentation fault

I tried to run dd_rescue, but it says command not found. Should I just try the dd again?
        dd_rescue is on the new weaknees_sata.iso. I'd recommend you use that boot cd image, as it is the one I am most familar with and I know for sure it has dd_rescue on it.

Information about dd _rescue can be here: here.

Comment

Tried the dd again, then the mfsadd and everything worked fine.

BTW, while the dd was running, I tried again to burn the weaknees_sata.iso. Its still not bootable. After looking at the ISO file, the root directory is blank, and under it is a directory named ISOLINUX. It would appear the CD should be burned from the data there.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Comment

BTW, while the dd was running, I tried again to burn the weaknees_sata.iso. Its still not bootable. After looking at the ISO file, the root directory is blank, and under it is a directory named ISOLINUX. It would appear the CD should be burned from the data there.
            No, the correct directory structure is a root directory with the single isolinux subdirectory. It's bootable just like that. What makes it bootable is the boot loader in the boot blocks and isn't visible in the file system.

I knew you had troubles with the older weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso, but this is the first mention you've made that the weaknees_sata iso wouldn't boot for you. Now that you're tivo upgrade is done, I guess there is no point in you debugging this further, but I'm curious what it is about your PC that neither of these boot isos will work on it.

Glad you got the dd/mfsadd to work finally.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-JSP View Post
              No, the correct directory structure is a root directory with the single isolinux subdirectory. It's bootable just like that. What makes it bootable is the boot loader in the boot blocks and isn't visible in the file system.

I knew you had troubles with the older weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso, but this is the first mention you've made that the weaknees_sata iso wouldn't boot for you. Now that you're tivo upgrade is done, I guess there is no point in you debugging this further, but I'm curious what it is about your PC that neither of these boot isos will work on it.

Glad you got the dd/mfsadd to work finally.
              Considering all the help you guys gave me, I did go revisit the SATA boot CD issue again. I've been working with 3 machines during this time. The one I used for testing the boot CDs was different than the one I was doing the TiVo upgrades on. That's how I was able to test the boot CD today on one box while dd was running on another. Just tried the SATA boot CD on the "TiVo upgrade" box, and it did boot fine. Turns out the CD drive on the other old machine is very flaky.

Sorry to have alarmed you and again I thank you for the help!

Comment

Thanks for following up. It's appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X