Maxtor eSATA on SA8300HD with Time Warner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxtor eSATA on SA8300HD with Time Warner

I just attached a new external eSATA drive to my Time Warner Scientific Atlanta 8300HD unit. I followed the installation instructions (twice), but the unit would not recognize the external drive. Time Warner support states that they do not support the external eSATA drive. I assumed that the software was there but Time Warner just would not address any problems that arose with this attachment. Is it possible that the software support for the external drive is not in the Time Warner units?

Yes, it's possible. Do you have SARA or Passport software on the unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The Passport logo is displayed during the boot process.

Comment

That's the problem. You need SARA to support the external drive. Email us if you'd like return information.

Comment

My Cablevision 8300HD has SARA (went through the diagnostics per the instructions before I bought my brand new Maxtor drive (arrived today).

Followed the instructions, but the 8300HD isn't recognizing it (87% used before and after). The green light on the Maxtor is on, the orange light isn't flashing.

Also, when the 8300HD first booted it asked whether I wanted to format the external drive -- [since there was nothing to the contrary in the instructions] I said yes.

Comment

Once it's formatted, that should be all there is to it. Have you tried rebooting the cable box (leaving the external drive on)?

Comment

That Did It!

Thanks Michael (a) for answering on a Saturday night <g>; and (b) for offering a solution which WORKED.

You might add the (2nd) reboot to the instructions.

Thanks!

Comment

OK - glad to hear it!

We'll try to get the word out . . .

Comment

Hi, I'm new to the DVR process and I have a question. I was about to purchase an eSATA drive to expand my ability to record programing. When I called Time Warner of NY, the rep told me that they did not support any drives. He also told me that the ports for the eSATA and USB were not active and therefore the drive would not be recognized.

Am I being fed bad information? Will I be wasting my time and money trying to get this to work?

Comment

Do you know if your unit is running SARA software? What is the exact model of the unit?

Comment

Working...
                    X