Direct TV TiVo user wants HiDef TiVo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct TV TiVo user wants HiDef TiVo

I have been using TiVo with Direct TV for 4 years with the R10(?) unit. I have upgraded the hard drive through you guys and it worked great. The family is starting to look at HD TVs. The problem is that everytime I call DirecTV they want to upgrade me to their R15 DVR and not talk about TiVo.

Can I run HD through this existing box? It seems that when get an HD TV I need to change my DirecTV account and this TiVo unit will no longer work? Can I purchase an HDTV, upgrade the DirecTV account to HD, get their R15 and not use it?

How do I get to HD with DirecTV and still have TiVo??

Actually, it's not their R15 that does HD, it's the HR20-700. But we still have stock on the HR10-250, which is the TiVo version of an HD DVR for DirecTV. It's a great box, and we highly recommend it. It can do OTA tuning which is really the highest quality HD programming you can get (and the HR20-700 can't do that, at the moment).

What it can't do is get HD locals in some areas from DirecTV (but you might get better ones OTA as mentioned above). Their new box can get local HDs from the dish.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So I would....

So I would buy an HD TV, then upgrade my DirecTV service to HD. They send me their DVR for free(?) which I put in the dumpster because I want Tivo! Then I can just buy the HR10-250 from you all and plug it in? I have to move over that one little "license" card from their DVR over to your HR10? DirecTV would not need to know anything else?

And apparently I can't get local Los Angeles channels once I do this?

Comment

Actually....

I have an RCA DVR40 for DirecTV upgraded with a 160 drive from you all. Will that support HD?

Comment

No - that unit can't support HD (the RCA).

And we're now out of stock on the HR10-250 . . . so if you still want TiVo with HD, you might need a TiVo Series3.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            No - that unit can't support HD (the RCA).

And we're now out of stock on the HR10-250 . . . so if you still want TiVo with HD, you might need a TiVo Series3.
            Will the Series3 work with DirecTV HD service?
            I thought only the the HR10-250 is DirecTV compatible?

thanks
            josh

Comment

Right - the Series3 will not work with DirecTV. So if you want HD TiVo, you'd need to move to cable.

(We did get a small quantity of HR10-250s in, and they're on our site, but they're extremely expensive. The time and cost to get them was pretty extreme, and we doubt we'll have more afterward.)

Comment

Working...
              X