Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I copy recordings during an upgrade of an upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I copy recordings during an upgrade of an upgrade?

I saw one post about an upgrade to an upgrade, but the details weren't clear to me if it applied in my case, so I thought I'd double-check:

I've already got a Series 2 single-drive Tivo upgraded (using Hindale How-To a few years ago) to a single drive 137GB useable capacity (really 160GB drive).

I'd like to do a simple copy and swap to a 300GB or larger.

Can I do a copy from the 137GB capacity (160GB actual) drive to the new larger drive (including all recorded shows), or do I have to go back to the original Tivo 80GB drive and/or the compressed image and setup a new larger drive from there (and thus lose my previous recordings)?

If you're going from one larger A drive to another, larger still, A drive, then no, you can't both copy recordings and get more space. You can get settings and more space, but not recordings in that circumstance.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, thanks for the clarification. Sounds like I might have to add a 2nd larger-yet drive if I want to retain the recordings. Thanks.

Comment

I did have one follow-up question: out of curiosity, what is the reason this doesn't work? Is my already-larger (137GB) upgrade to the original Tivo 80GB somehow different than the original Tivo 80GB (other than the obvious increase in size)? In other words, what does the MfsTools software rely on with upgrading an original Tivo drive that allows copying recordings, but which is not possible when trying to copy from a MfsTools-generated large drive to a yet-larger drive? In both cases, I'm simply increasing drive space, but I assume there is something unique about Tivo original drives? I'm really more interested out of curiosity, as I trust that you say it won't work.

Comment

Basically, the reason is that any one physical drive can have at most two sets of storage partitions, and they can't be expanded. So you had one set from the factory drive, and added a second set with the first upgrade. You can't now expand the second set, nor can you add a third.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I see. That totally makes sense, and helps me a lot with understanding what I can and can't do during an upgrade. Thanks for the explanation!

Comment

Working...
            X