Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Drive to Single Drive Help

Hi,

I have a HR10-250 DirectTiVo that I upgrade a few years back by installing a Weaknees bracket/fan kit and dual 300GB disks.

What I would like to do now is replace the dual drive setup with a single 750GB drive while preserving all my recorded shows. The wife would be really upset if I lost these!

I read through the Hinsdale guide and in section "UPGRADE CONFIGURATION #6:" it states "TiVo will not have enough available partitions remaining in order to combine their existing drives onto a single larger A drive and expand to use any remaining space while still preserving their recordings. "

My questions are...
    1) Am I looking in the right place for information regarding what i am trying to do with my situation described above? 2) Is there any possible way to convert a dual drive DTiVo to s single drive AND save recording? (I know this can be done using several methods if I didn't care about losing my recording!)

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tonedr

Yup - sorry to say, there's no way to do what you want to do (go from two drives to one) and save the data.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply, even if that is bad news for me. Perhaps I will need to rethink this.

I would like to replace my two 300GB drives in my DTiVo because I they are having symptoms indicating they are getting near their end of life.

Just so I am clear, what would be my options on replacing both 300GB drives in my DTiVo with another dual drive setup and still save my recordings? Would I need to get the same capacity replacement drives? Can I expand storage space at the same time?

Tonedr

Comment

You'd need drives at least as large as what you have. Assuming you only have one set of partitions on the B drive, that drive could be expanded to a larger one as part of the process.

Comment

Thanks again for you help. This forum is really a great asset to all of us needing information.

Comment

Picked up on this thread, which was asking just my question. But the Hinsdale How-to says:

"Those with dual drive DirecTiVos, dual drive Series 2 units (with user added B drive), the rare factory combined dual drive standalones (see Step 7 Option #2 for description), or dual drive UK Thompson TiVo will not have enough available partitions remaining in order to combine their existing drives onto a single larger A drive and expand to use any remaining space while still preserving their recordings. For further upgrade possibilities of these units see Upgrade Configuration #2 (will not preserve recordings) or Upgrade Configuration #4 or #5 (preserves recordings)."

It makes it sound as if there is a scenario under which this would work, but that most cases it wouldn't. I have a Humax T800 Series 2 that I updated with a second disk previously. Am I to understand this wouldn't work for me?

If so, what would be the scenario under which this wold work (Upgrade Configuration #6)? Series 1 and Series 3?

Thanks for any clarification you can give...

Comment

It works only for certain Series 1 units that shipped with two drives originally.

Comment

Working...
              X