HDVR2 died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDVR2 died

I have been getting repeated system resets and it was suggested that I check the hard drive connections (I have a 120GB Maxtor in addition to the original 40GB Maxtor). I opened the case, blew out everything with a can of PerfectDuster Plus (air). Then I disconnected power cables on the hard drives and cleaned them with CRC QD Electronic Cleaner. I did the same with the ribbon connectors to the drives. Everything was reconnected correctly.

I reconnected all the inputs and outputs, plugged it in and began to smell something like overheating. Within 15 seconds the unit shut off and will not turn on. I have since disconnected, cleaned as above and reconnected the ribbon connector from the power supply to the motherboard. The unit still won't turn on.

Help - I was debating an upgrade to HD, but didn't intend to fry my current Tivo in order to force that decision. Also, I don't want to lose the programs I have on the existing drives.

Can anybody offer any suggestions?

HDVR2 died, then rose from the dead

Well, further reading of forums discussed the problem with the ribbon connector from the front of the unit to the motherboard. Duh, it was loose. Disconnecting and reconnecting resolved the problem.

Many folks in the threads discussing that connection, stated that powering up the unit with that connection not secured would either fry the motherboard or kill the remote. Lucky me, it did neither.

Comment

Frying your motherboard typically happens with standalone units. Your unit doesn't have that problem...glad you got it resolved.

Comment

Working...
      X