HR20 "Searching for Signal" Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR20 "Searching for Signal" Issue

We've had this unit for about 2 months. Ever since it was delivered we've constantly had problems with "searching for signal" on one of the tuners. Because this unit doesn't allow you to change tuners, its impossible to know which tuner it is. This problem has caused missed shows, and numerous "blank" shows that show up in the list as 5 seconds of black screen.

This problem requires restarting the box up to 3 or 4 times A DAY! We've reported this to DirecTV several times, resulting in the service rep telling us to...... restart the box. The next step was resetting the entire thing, losing all our settings and recorded shows. This appeared to work for a week or so. The next thing the service rep told us on the next call was that they'd send out a technician to align the dish and check out the system. The service technician did just that, checked all cables and connectoins, found nothing wrong, then proceeded to tell us that the problem was a bad power strip. (?????????) We disconnected the satellite cables from the power strip as the technician suggested. That appeared to work for a few days. Now we're back to the "searching for signal" issue up to 4 times a day again.

I would not be surprised if I came home from work one night and found the HR20 on the front lawn, having been launched through the picture window by my usually very patient spouse.

Its my opinion that this is NOT a software problem because restarting and resetting the box do not fix it. But I'm not a technician.

We got this box directly from DirecTV as a replacement for an HR10-250 (purchased from WeaKnees) that was found to have a faulty HDMI output. We will fix the HR10-250 because it is far superior and also because we'll probably need to put it back in the living room to replace the HR20 box that is only useful as a boat anchor.

We're currently fighting a battle with DirecTV to get the HR20 replaced and are about at the point where we will threaten to cancel service. We've been customers since 1998.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, any luck with a solution? Anyone out there have any advice other than dumping the HR20?

Thanks to all for your input!

We've definitely seen satellite input problems over the years. It sounds like you're having one. You likely just need a new unit. I'd be surprised if DirecTV wouldn't swap your HR20 out at this point pretty easily.

And we highly recommend getting your HR10 running again!
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Well, Michael, be surprised...be very surprised. The latest in this saga as of this evening is that DirecTV is going to send yet another technician on a house call to check out the cables AGAIN. They still contend its not a problem with the unit.

In the meantime we're still holding off on fixing the HR10 only because we're so close to dumping DirecTV completely. If DTV can make this right, we'll definitely replace the HDMI card in the HR10, which still functions perfectly if we use the composite video.

Comment

Let's hope that the tech brings along another HR20 . . .

Comment

I just got the new HR21 and it works better than the HR20. I was apparently one of the first to get it and while it isn't Tivo it is much better than the Cable crap out there. 50 hours in HD or 300 in SD is pretty good. I am also learning how to "switch" the tuners like a Tivo. Since Cablevision on Long Island offers only 25 HD channels I would never again make the mistake with them.

Comment

We agree: it's better than most generic cable DVRs.

Be careful with the advertised 50 hours though. That's for MPEG4 channels. MPEG2 recordings max out at about 30, but, of course, they look better.

Comment

So far the indicator has not gone below 85% and that's with 6.5 hours of HD and about 30 hours of SD. I don't store shows (except childrens shows which are SD for my daughter) with a few exceptions so I will never come anywhere close to 50 hours of HD.

You can also network the HR21 and transfer music/photos from your PC.

Hey it doesn't have the Tivo interface but the OS is lightning fast compared to the Tivo HD for Cable. The remote is not as user friendly but after a few weeks you get used to it.

Comment

I will say that the newest HD TiVos for cable are pretty fast at this point (maybe not when doing complex Universal Swivel Searches, but otherwise). But I do agree that the HR20 and HR21 are pretty snappy.

How did they ever come up with a remote like that?

Comment

By saying how can we make this remote the most user unfriendly we can. They need to move the FF and RW buttons to the lower part of the remote where we use them. Maybe Tivo will make a Universal remote that controls the HR21...We can dream....

Comment

There are actually universals that seem to have been derived from the TiVo remote - they have the same general peanut shape, and similar buttons. They Harmony 659 and 880 are the closest.

I will say, though, that while they're great at being universals, I still prefer my actual TiVo remote.

Comment

adapters

do you have the 2 hd adaptrers attached to each incomingl ine?

Comment

Working...
                      X