Is a windows partition needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a windows partition needed?

I have linux box that I am preparing for my tivo upgrade! But I see in the tutorial that you save a backup image of your existing tivo HDD to a fat32 partition. Does the backup need to be a fat32 partition or do I need to have a copy of windows installed? Couldn't I just create a fat32 partition for my backup image?

Windows will not help you. You can create a partition for the image, yes.

Comment

Thanks Man!!! Here we go! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Comment

OK I have done the small backup tested it in my tivo and it went smooth! I have placed my upgrade drive back in my linux box and starting the copy/expand routine! Hopefully it doesn't take hours to complete!!! Thanks guys!!! This is an awesome way to save money!!!

Comment

Well I had a little problem restoring my play list it kept giving me some kind of restore error something about the volume i don't know. So I just kissed my recordings goodbye and did the mfsadd command! Worked great I now have a directivo phillips dsr704 with 217hrs!!!

Comment

Pretty strange, but if it's working, great!
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK what I was trying to do was restore to a HDD that previously had windows xp on it and it would give me the error about the volume problem or something along those lines so what I did was wipe that drive today so it was raw no partitions or anything and tried again. This time the screen reads restore done!!!!! Very cool!

Comment

That's even stranger - the mfstools should write right over any Windows info, if you ask it to format a drive.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X