Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 Resets

Hello,
    I have recentlly purchased a Series 3 TIVO form Weaknees. It is a great unit, but I have experienced a strange issue with intermittent resets. This happens to be my second unit since the first unit exhibited this same problem and I was advised to return it. A new unit was sent and installed a week and a half ago. Today I noticed that three or four resets had occurred which chopped a three hour program into three segments. Of course when ever a reset occurs the 30 second skip feature has to be reprogrammed (my first clue that something was amiss). My particular units have been upgraded models to handle 60 hours of HD. I think it has 500 GB drive. Any any rate I am wondering if this issue has been reported or seen by others? Is it possible that the upgraded drive is too much for the power supply in the box? I have checked internal temperature which shows 46 C which appears to be normal, so I don't believe that I have a temperature problem. I might add that the TIVO box is behind a UPS and that other devices do not show any sign of power issues.

Thanks for any help

We're pretty sure it isn't a hard drive issue if you've had two. This is much more likely a problem with OTA HD broadcasts. Are you using an over the air antenna with the unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am using Comcast cable for my source, not an antenna since my location does not allow any antenna reception. I am wondering if since it took a while for the resets to appear, could the disk be issuing a reset somehow as the disk fills with TV programming? Interestingly enough I saw at least three resets yesturday, but none in the last twenty four hours. I will continue to monitor.

Comment

Sounds good - tell us what happens.

Comment

Reset problem

I was just starting to enjoy my Series 3, and I'm sitting doing nothin and my box reboots. It was recording a movie, and now I'm missing about a five minute segment.

How many people have reported this issue?

I also have experienced dropouts during OTA shows, but this is not a tivo issue, since it also happens when watching without the tivo (antenna hooked directly to TV). I know this is a digital problem, since digital broadcasts don't have the luxury of analog in that if the signal is degraded enough, it stops instead of just getting worse.

But the reboot thing is unacceptable. What do you suggest? My unit is only a few days old.

James

Comment

First thing to try, which also helps keep your unit running for a long time, is a UPS.

Comment

I've got a UPS. TiVo is suggesting, without admiiting that this is a problem, that their wireless netwok adapter may be the cause of the resets. They also seem to think that if the problem doesn't occur frequently, that it's a non-issue. My opinion of TiVo is dropping rapidly.

I've had my Sony SVR-2000 for more than six years with few problems. Now I have more than $1000 invested in a box that still has bugs to be worked out. What a bunch of BS...

Comment

We've seen USB-ethernet adapters cause problems, but not TiVo Wireless G adapters. If you can isolate it to that, please post back here. That would definitely be something new.

Sorry to hear about your opinion of TiVo concerning this. They've generally done very rock-solid releases. Our feeling is that the all of the hoops they had to go through to get the CableCARD authorization really changed their plans on this unit. That seems to be why multi-room viewing doesn't work and why the eSATA port is disabled.

Comment

I’d be interested to know if LRN (the original poster of this thread) is using a TiVo wireless adapter with his Series 3. If so, and WK replaced has replaced his unit twice, you’d have a major gripe with TiVo for not revealing this as a possible cause of the problem. They also were anxious to blame it on any upgraded capacity, but much to their dismay, I have a stock unit.

When my box reset, it was shortly after making a connection to pick up a programming from the web. So I’m going to try and reproduce the problem by scheduling a few shows and forcing updates over the netwok.

To make matters worse, when you call TiVo, you’ve got to go through a bunch of circular automated menus before you can speak to a human.

I’ll let you know the results of my testing.

Another thing I’m not crazy about is the delay when changing channels from OTA to cable, or different formats. I’m not entirely sure what it is that’s causing the delay (screen goes black for 5-10 seconds.

Fortunately there are enough good things to appreciate about the new system, like free OTA HD programming. I’m not a big football fan, but am starting to watch more just because of the incredible clarity of the picture and sound of the HD signal.

Jas

Comment

Working...
                  X