H20 Compared to HR21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H20 Compared to HR21

I recently purchased the H20 to evaluate DTV's new HD channels. I was impressed with the picture quality and how quickly you could scroll through the guide. A month later I purchased the HR21 and upgraded to 65hr DVR. I've noticed big differences between the two boxes. It seems the HR21 box is very slow when changing channels or scrolling through the guide especially compared to the H20.

The HR21 also seems to lock up frequently. On average I have to reset the box 1 to 2 times per week. (HR21 is 1 month old)

I've invested a fair amount of money into this box and I'm concerned the HR21 may not be reliable. Is there a fix in the near future?

You can try forcing a new download by restarting the unit, and, at the first screen, entering 0 2 4 6 8 from the remote.

Beyond that, since this unit is much more complicated, it can be a bit slower.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

What are the differences between the HR20 and HR21 other than the OTA antenna? I am about to upgrade and would like the OTA function but not at the cost of other features?

Comment

Hi--We answer that question and a lot more here:

DIRECTV HD DVR HR21 / HR20 FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
          You can try forcing a new download by restarting the unit, and, at the first screen, entering 0 2 4 6 8 from the remote.

Beyond that, since this unit is much more complicated, it can be a bit slower.
          Please define "complicated". Since it is essentially a HR20 (physically) with the ATSC tuner module missing (and running nearly-identical software), I would think it would be less complicated. What are we missing?

By "new download" do you mean that the OS would be reinstalled on the HDD? If so, would that wipe out all current recordings? How long does that process take?

Comment

Actually, I think the original post was comparing the H20 (non-DVR) with the HR21 (DVR). They are completely different.

Comment

Directv and off-air antenna

I have a "mixed" system of outdoor antenna and Directv. Four of my tv's have both Directv (two HD and one regular DVR and one regularbox) and off-air antenna, my remaining six tv's in the house only use the off air antenna. The off air antenna comes into the house through the basement and uses a central distribution block with UHF gain and signal amplifier - decent pictures on all tv's. The Directv signal goes to the four tv's directly. The existing DVR can't watch and record because I only have one cable going to it. I am thinking of adding replacing one of my HD receivers with a HD-DVR and would want to watch one tuner and record from the other. I guess I have a number of questions but (1) should I continue to keep separate Directv and off air systems? (2) Would it make sense to buy a SMW8 take my off-air signal split it outside and send one to the SMW8 and the other to my distribution in the basement? (3) If you use the off-air antenna connection on the SMW8 do you need that splitter at the rear of each Directv receiver or should I continue to use my directly wired antenna at each Diectv setup? I'm sure I have more questions but this is a good start and thanks in advance for all advise!

Comment

1 - The HR20 units can do both off-air and DirecTV:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv-hd-dvr.php

2 - If the units are all compatible with the SWM, it'll make your life easier.

3 - Yes - you need a diplexer to split the signal off before attaching to the SAT and OTA ports on the receivers.
                Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
                X