Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting Toshiba Tivo's to Cox Digital Cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Toshiba Tivo's to Cox Digital Cable?

I am a newbie and this is my first post, so please forgive me if this question has already been asked or is common knowledge amongst Tivo owners. I bought two second hand Toshiba Tivo units for myself early this year (SD400 and RS-TX20). They both have the lifetime membership dealio, and let's just say I can't see how I ever lived without them. They are AWESOME

Here is my question now, I have COX Basic Cable, it has like like 70 channels. I remember when initially setting up my Tivo it asking me to select what kind of cable I was using, I had to select channels and do some other stuff. Now COX is offering a special, convert to digital cable and get the hundreds of channels, free HBO, etc. But they make you rent their boxes. I don't want their stinking boxes, you have to pay extra for them and I really like using my Tivo remotes. I have heard that the Tivo units I own aren't HD tuners, and to be honest, I don't really care. I just want the channels. My question is, if I don't rent the COX box will I still be able to access the hundreds of channels that the digital cable subscription offers using my Tivo units alone? Thank you in advance for any/all input!

I just wanted to add this blurb from the COX website. I mean, I pay like $115 now for basic cable, internet & phone. I just want to know if this would be a better deal for me. If I had to pay an extra $10-$20 it would be worth it for HBO & 100+ channels. Verizon FiOs is not available yet, and I may look into that too when it does become available, whatever the best deal is... thx

"Rhode Island
    * Offer expires 1/15/08 and is available to existing residential customers in Rhode Island serviceable areas. $99 offer requires 12 month commitment to one of the three Max bundles. After promotional period, regular and tariffed rates will apply unless the services are cancelled before the end of the 12th month by calling Cox at 1-888-898-9751. If any of the services are cancelled within 12 months, customers will be billed $99. Digital Cable requires rental of remote and digital receiver for $5.15 a month and separate paid subscription to at least Cox Limited Basic service and Digital Gateway. Cox Basic service required for local HD channels. Cox Digital Cable and Standard required for standard HD channels. Paid subscription to Digital HBO required for HBO HD. An HDTV receiver or CableCard and an HDTV set required. All rates exclude taxes, fees, surcharges, additional premium channels, pay-per-view, DVR, HD converter, On Demand, inside wiring fees and additional jacks. +Cox basic flat rate local exchange line and One Rate excludes long distance and international calling charges, directory assistance and operator-assisted calls and applicable taxes, regulatory fees and surcharges. Unlimited Solution plan minutes are limited to direct dialed long distance calls within the US [and to Puerto Rico, Guam, US Virgin Islands, Guam, N. Mariana Islands and Canada ) and requires subscription to Cox for local, toll and long distance. Excessive monthly long distance usage may subject account to review to ensure usage consistent with Unlimited plans tariffed terms. Simply Worldwidesm requires subscription to Cox basic local exchange, local toll and long distance service. Applicable per minute international rates apply. Telephone service provided by Cox Rhode Island Telcom, LLC. Telephone modem equipment may be required and uses household electrical power to operate and has a backup battery power provided by Cox if electricity is interrupted. Telephone service, including E911 service, will not be available during an extended power outage or if the modem is moved or inoperable. Modem may be property of Cox Communications. Free Modem applies to customers who select Preferred or Premier high speed Internet service. If Internet service is cancelled within 90 days, customers will be billed $99.95 for the modem. PowerBoostTM, a feature exclusive to Preferred or Premier package, temporarily increases your download speeds when extra bandwidth is available. PowerBoostTM is a registered trademark of Comcast Corporation. Used with permission. Cox cannot guarantee uninterrupted or error free service, or the speed of your service. Actual speeds will vary. For more information visit www.cox.com/speed. Free professional installation applies to customers completing the bundle and enrolling in Easy Pay. Standard professional installation consists of Cox Digital cable on 1 prewired outlet, 1 computer and on up to 2 telephone lines installed at the same time. All services may not be available in all areas. All rates and offers are subject to change. Other restrictions apply. HBO and HBO On Demand are service marks of Home Box Office, Inc. © 2007 CoxCom, Inc., d/b/a Cox Communications New England All rights reserved."

Comment

Can you get their new channels, and just get simple digital set top boxes from them, and have the TiVos control the new set top boxes? Just don't get DVRs from them.
      Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
      X