• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sony SVR200 - questions on my latest drive replacement

Sytem:
    Sony SVR2000
    Wired cache card/NIC w/ 512MB
    WD 120GB (3rd or 4th drive?) going to a Hitachi 160GB

Hello all, I have used the Hindsdale CD a few times in the past to upgrage my series1 TiVo from the original 40GB to a 120GB to a 120GB and now to a 160GB. I knew about the 137GB limitation of the series1, but I didn't know about the limit to the number of times you can upgrade???? I have been reading a few comments in this forum but I am confused a bit. I have my last 2 or 3 drives (including the OE 40GB), and the last 2 *.bak files created by the the boot CD, so at what point am I going to be stuck?

My latest upgrade went fine for the first and second part where you capture the *.bak file and restore it to a new drive, but I don't think I have the full expanded space, and I am having trouble getting the old recordings transferred over. I have tried both the "dd" and "mfsrestore" options, but neither come back clean. Is there something I am doing wrong?

What do you mean by them not coming back "clean"? That you get errors? If so, ditch the recordings and restore from your .bak file.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't clear, "not coming back clean" = returns errors / does not complete.

I didn't write down the errors, but I will do so if that helps.

Ditching the recordings is easier said than done. My daughter is quite possibly more addicted to TiVo than I am. We have dozens of Mickey Mouse, Sesame Street, and Curious George for her (lame I know but she is 3 what do you expect), and just as many prime time recordings from several shows for us.

The "restore" from *.bak went fine, I don't know if the "expand" worked so well. For now, it is functioning just fine for new recordings, but of course I can't play most of the old ones. It does seem odd that some of the old recordings do play, while most just say there was an error and to hit select to continue.

I have 2 of the Hitachi 160GB drives to play with, one of them is in there now so we don't miss anything, and I am trying to use the 2nd drive to do a full restore if possible. Am I having this problem because I have upgraded the drive a handful of times already?

Comment

Those problems should have nothing to do with having upgraded previously. Most likely, you've got a failing drive on your hands. You can try a bit-by-bit copy using dd but you should really consider putting a clean OS on the unit, on new drives.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X