External modem help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External modem help.

I see this has been asked a lot, but I can't figure it out. Just moved to a new house and found that my S1 Tivo wouldn't dial out. Ordered the Weaknees modem and installed it, but it will not connect for the test call. I disabled the DTD and phone avail detection. When it makes the call, I can hear the modems negotiating, but they just never get a good hand-shake. The failure that keeps coming up is "Failed. Service not answering."

Any help?

I tried changing to my old area code and adding to the dial prefix so it reads: ,#319,,1757 but still can't get a good connect

Try this:

,#396,,XXXXXXXXX

Replace the Xs with the phone number of a known-good dialin number, as you would dial it on your phone.

Comment

It gets even better. I finally got it to connect for the initial setup and then downloaded the programs listing from a local number. Issue is that it will only connect when I have a telephone handset on the line and listening in. If I let the Tivo dial in without the handset being off-hook, it fails every time. This is repeatable, but I don't know why.

I got a good download Thur and it has failed 2 nights running and today during a forced daily update call, but every time I've gotten a good connection has been with a handset off-hook.

Comment

That is pretty strange. Do you have dial tone detection and phone avail detection turned off?

Comment

Yes I do. UNfortunately, I tried to download tonight and got a service not answering no matter what I did. You could hear the modem negotiating, but the hand-shake just never occurred.

Comment

You may then actually have a hard drive problem. But have you tried just rebooting both the TiVo and the modem?
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Yes, I reset the Tivo and had to go through the guided setup and the modem is brand new, just got it.

I don't think it's the hard drive. I got a good connection tonight with the phone handset off-hook.

I'm having the telco out on Fri to check for a noisy line.

Comment

OK - tell us if that doesn't do the trick.

Comment

Telco came out and repaired "cross voltage". Line is nice and quiet now and the Tivo works like a champ.

Comment

Excellent - good to know that could cause the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X