Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Needed Connecting to My Computer for Access to Music, Movies, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed Connecting to My Computer for Access to Music, Movies, etc.

12/13/07

Just picked a TIVO Model: TCD652160 HD-DVR. About 2 1/2 years ago I previously owned a TIVO but it was not HD; so I am familiar with the entire TIVO phenom.

My questions are about the new enhanced features that my previous TIVO did not have. I am specifically inquiring about: Amazon Unbox, Rhapsody connection, Podcasts and the Universal Swivel Switch.

Being a musician naturally I am a HUGE music fan. I am also a big movie buff so the two options mentioned above are very exciting to have included with my new TIVO. My TIVO is on the main floor with my computer in the basement, directly underneath where the TV sits [on the floor above it].

I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer for me:

1. In order to utilize Unbox, Rhapsody and Podcast do I need to have my TIVO connected to my computer? Currently my pc is connected via broadband thru my cable modem. How do I connect the TIVO to my Internet/broadband line?

2. I am a cable subscriber (Optimum on Long Island), is there some sort of splitter that I can have Optimum install so one line goes to the cable modem and the other to my TIVO?

3. Does TIVO automatically d/load the 14-day program via the cable TV line attached to the TIVO or do I need to have a separate telephone line connected to TIVO and a phone jack?

In short, I would like to be able to access my Rhapsody account directly from my television via the TIVO. Any other music, movies, downloads, etc. that I can get would be gravy.

Any advice or answers that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

Ben

1 - Yes, or more specifically, the TiVo needs broadband access, which generally means it'll get attached to your network, therefore indirectly to your computer. You probably need a router between your internet line and your computer. That can share the internet connection with your computer and TiVo, and create an internal network (a subnet).

2 - Just get a Linksys or Netgear router.

3 - You need either a phone line, or the internet connection described above.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Cool

I just ordered the TIVO adapter so I can hook it up via my router; hopefully it won't be too hard to connect myself

Peace

Comment

They make it pretty easy - those companies don't want the support calls!
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X