Combining HD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining HD's

I have 2 Samsung SIR-S4120R DTV Tivos ! is in use the other is just sitting around they both have a max capicty of up to 100 hr's ea ,the one sitting around does work because I powered it up and checked it ,I'm thinking of taking the hd from the non active one and swapping it into the active one using a weaknees twin breeze kit ,if I do this will there be any problems as far as the hd's working right off or will they have to be reformated and while I don't have any experience with linux I have swaped out and formatted hd's in my comp with win's Xp so would I be able to reformat myself if needed and is it like reformatting my computers hd and would there be instructions on any of your forums on how to do it, I assume I would need to do it with my computer,Thanks.

You can use a factory drive from one Samsung in the other, but if you want to use it as a second drive, it would have to be programmed to work as a second drive. It cannot be used as-is. If you would like us to do the formatting, see here. You say that you don't have Linux experience, but if you want to try yourself, the upgrade instructions site is a good place to start.

Good luck!

Comment

So if the drive from the inactive unit after being transfered into the active unit is upgraded to act as a second drive do I lose my programs on the active drive ? as for the drive from the inactive unit I don't care about what's on that drive if there is anything on it at all,I'm only concerned about keeping the programs that are on my active unit,also if I have you do the installation of the twin breeze kit and upgrade the other drive what would I be looking at cost wise ? I've already removed the drive out of the inactive unit,thanks.

Comment

No - you don't lose the shows that were already on the unit you'll be using, but you do lose the shows that were on the now-idle unit.

If you want us to format the drive for you, pricing is here.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok sounds good ,and now that I think about it I'm fairly sure that the drive in the other unit didn't have any programs on it,but I also just noticed that the drive is an 80 gig hd and it came out of a S4080R and my active unit is a S4120R with a 120 gig hd,( both are series 2 units and have the same software version id in them ) but I'm assuming that just means I'll only wind up with 170 hr's instead of 200 hr's which is ok,so my next question is do you need my unit in order to do the programing of the 80 gig hd or just the hd itself ? because either way I've still got to get the Twin Breeze bracket and put it in, so I'm thinking if you do need the unit then I should just go ahead and pay the extra $$ and let you guys do both and if I do go that route I'm assuming that I'd need to contact you ahead of time and make the arrangements in advance for that .

Comment

Since the 120 is still the stock drive that came in the unit, we only need the 80 to prep for the addition. So you just need the service and the TwinBreeze.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X