Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Series 3 Questions - Cable Card needs, lifetime transfer, activation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Series 3 Questions - Cable Card needs, lifetime transfer, activation...

Okay, I got my Series 3 hooked up, and have a few questions that are easier to ask than searching for answers:

1. I didn’t realize that the series 3 would pick up basic cable (non-digital) without a cable card. Can I get just one cable card and use that for digital programming, and still use the other tuner for OTA (digital and HD) and basic cable recording? If I schedule a recording with only one card, will the TiVo know which tuner to use?

2. Is there a shortcut to the “channels I receive” list so I can easily eliminate the channels I don’t get ? Or should I just go through the channels and write down the ones I want to delete.

3. How much time do I have before I need to activate my service (and transfer my lifetime subscription) so I can squeeze as much time as possible out of my old box?

4. Changing channels seems a lot slower on the new box. Is that the way it is, or any tips for improving this?

BTW, for those considering purchase, the Series 3 comes with HDMI and component video cables (so it saves you having to buy an expensive cable. Even cheap HDMI cables are $20). And don’t waste your money on some fancy Monster HDMI cable ($100+). Digital is digital. Your signal won’t get any better spending extra money on some gas injected jewel.

James

1 - Yes, you can make these work with just one CableCARD in the way you've described, but usually the cost of the second card is really minimal - may $2/month. On the off chance that two premium shows are on at the same time that you want to capture, we highly recommend two cards, but you can indeed use one.

2 - That's the only way we know.

3 - You only get about 10 days of service for free with the new box. You should get a warning as the end of that window approaches.

4 - We haven't really had that experience here, but in any event, you might just try a reboot. The channel changing could also theoretically be a bit slower right at initial setup time since the unit needs to index all of the guide data.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
      1 - Yes, you can make these work with just one CableCARD in the way you've described, but usually the cost of the second card is really minimal - may $2/month. On the off chance that two premium shows are on at the same time that you want to capture, we highly recommend two cards, but you can indeed use one.
      Yeah, but I'm a cheap bastard. I seem to have no trouble paying 5 grand for a new TV, or $700 for a TiVo, but $36 a year for an extra cable card seems to stick in my craw. I'll probably end up doing it, but not without a little stress.

Besides, I have cable service from Service Electric in PA. They want $3/month for each card (or $125 to purchase). No deals, no credit for my digital converter box. Not to mention they want $10/month for the HD stations I seem to be able to get OTA, or $18 to add TNT HD, Discovery HD, and a few others like sports channels that I have no interest in. And I don't even have HD sevice in my area yet (expected early next year).

I guess I'll get the 2 cards, and in 6 months when my Showtime trial runs out, I'll return one of them.

Sorry for babbling,

James

Comment

I'm with you. Monthly fees are never fun.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X