TIVO that can record to DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIVO that can record to DVD

Hello all - Here I am a techno phobe trying to buy a tivo for my husband for Christmas. I have looked at the this one from TIVO and have one question that no one can seem to answer in clear terms for me.

Can I record from this TIVO box to my DVD/VHS player? I know that there are DVD players with TIVO built in....that is not in my budget this year. I really want to get him a system and subscription but I know that he would want to take what was recorded on TIVO and tape it to DVD in some cases.

Any advice on if this model will do that, how easy it is and other options would be SO helpful.

Thanks,

Michelle

Basically, no, this unit really isn't made to import recordings from anything but cable and/or satellite systems.

The DVD TiVos can't actually just copy a movie from a DVD to the DVR side either, just to be clear, but they do have a few inputs where you can hook up external components and record their info onto the TiVo. So you could hook up a DVD/VHS/videocam or whatever and record it onto the TiVo's drive.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Output from Tivo

Hi Michael - Thanks for your quick reply. I am not worried about importing anything INTO the Tivo model I mentioned I am wondering if once I record a show with Tivo if I can EXPORT it (record it) onto a VHS tape with my VCR.

Would it be able to do it to a DVD/R if I had one?

Yes I know VHS is so passe but we are slowly catching up with technology.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Yes - that TiVo is totally suitable for playing back video to a DVD/R and/or a VHS, for recording of TiVo'd movies to DVDs or VHS tapes.

Comment

THANK YOU THANK YOU.....that just made my christmas shopping SOOO much easier!

Comment

Am new to the TIVO/burning onto DVD experience.

WK-Michael, so a TiVo® Series2™ DT DVR basically does what a TiVo Humax will do but requires two units (TV and DVD burner) instead of an all-in-one Humax?

My preference is not to go with Humax yet I want the convenience of the Tivo recording so what is most important to me because I travel so much and want to take recorded shows, is the capability to burn what I have recorded from a TiVo onto DVD that can be played on any DVD player.

Comment

Well, they have some other differences. The Humax can burn faster than real-time, since it's an all-in-one unit. But if you go with the DT and do the two box approach, then you have to move in real time when recording out to DVD.

Comment

i currently have my (new) series 3 hooked up to a VCR, like the series 2 tivo i had before it. w/the series 2, i was able to "record shows to a videotape," like the tivo said

my series 3 does this also. if i were to replace the VCR w/a combo VCR/dvd recorder/player, would it record a movie to a blank dvd, if i chose the same "record to vcr" option but instead, started recording the dvd, not a tape?

thanks

Comment

That's exactly right. The TiVo can't tell what component is at the other end of the output cables, so you just put a DVD recorder there in place of the VCR and you're all set.

Comment

ok, thanks much for the info

Comment

VCR Direct Recording Output From a T3?

I understand I will be able to download previously recorded shows from my Tivo Series 3, so my son can watch them. But can I set up the Tivo and VCR so the VCR can record shows independently on its own? The normal setup for doing this with a VCR is RF to the VCR, but there is no RF output from the T3.
                      John Sapienza

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
                        Basically, no, this unit really isn't made to import recordings from anything but cable and/or satellite systems.

The DVD TiVos can't actually just copy a movie from a DVD to the DVR side either, just to be clear, but they do have a few inputs where you can hook up external components and record their info onto the TiVo. So you could hook up a DVD/VHS/videocam or whatever and record it onto the TiVo's drive.

I have a TCD540040 Series 2 TIVO. Can this TIVO record a dvd recording from outside dvd player and if so how do I make this setup

Comment

Tivo Series 2-record from an external DVD Player

Is it possible to record on your Tivo from an external dvd player. If so what is the setup to achieve this.

Tks

Comment

Originally posted by slice235 View Post
                            Is it possible to record on your Tivo from an external dvd player. If so what is the setup to achieve this.

Tks
                            This will work so long as your do not have an HD TiVo or one with DIRECTV built in. Simply tell your TiVo that you have a cable box, but instead of connecting a cable box, connect your DVD player. Then set your TiVo to record manually and press play on your DVD player when you're ready to record.

Comment

I have a Tivo Series 2 unit TCD540040 with a recording capacity of 40 hrs. Does this mean I cannot record off the external dvd.

Comment

Working...
                              X