R10 Units Both Rebooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R10 Units Both Rebooting

I have 2 DirecTV plus TiVo R10 units (We also have two other non-TiVo receivers). Both R10s were purchased in November 2005 and we didn't have any problems until October of 2007.

Both R10 units, at about the same time (as we noticed), began occasionally rebooting. Sometimes it was while we watched live TV. Other times it occurred during a recording session. At first it was infrequent (once or twice per week) but then it seemed to happen more often. Finding the Weeknees.com site and reading about these types of problems, I replaced the hard drives in both units. In addition, to check the theory that power losses to the house might be a cause, I put the bedroom unit on a UPS.

At first the reboots seemed to go away but then we noticed them occuring again in late December-early January of this year. At this point I ordered a power supply from Weaknees and replaced the bedroom unit's power supply.

However, this has not corrected the problem for the bedroom unit and we haven't been using the downstairs unit much while I was working the problem.

I would be interested to hear any theories and possible solutions before I have to buy replacement units.

Other configuration info:
    We have the DirecTV 3-LNB oval dish with 4 outputs. Since we needed 6, the four dish outputs are connected to a 4x8 multiplexer from Eagle Aspen (DTV 4x8) to get 8 outputs for the receivers. As near as I can tell, the multiplexer is working fine but I do not know if it could be the problem somehow. The other two non-TiVo units do not seem to be having restart issues like the R10s.

What OS versions are the units running? There are known rebooting issues with 6.3e, especially if you use the "standby" feature.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

R10 Os

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

Both units are running OS 6.3e (6.3e-01-2-521). Interestingly enough, the upstairs unit rebooted just as I opened up the settings screen and saw 6.3e (I think it knows).

This is the OS that came on the new hard drives I bought from Weaknees.
      Is there a way to update the OS or should I just not use the standby feature and will that reduce or eliminate the rebooting problems?

Thanks again.

Comment

Definitely don't use standby.

Try forcing a dial-in to see if it'll authorize 6.3f.

Comment

I don't think 6.3e is what came on the drives from us--in fact, I'm quite sure. I think your units might have started having problems when you updated to 6.3e, which likely happened automatically.

Definitely don't use standby, and you might want to just wait for a software update.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post
            Definitely don't use standby.

Try forcing a dial-in to see if it'll authorize 6.3f.
            I selected the "System Test" option and it did do some sort of dial and phone test. However, the OS did not change. Is there something to do to try and get the OS update as you mentioned above?

Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Jeff View Post
              I don't think 6.3e is what came on the drives from us--in fact, I'm quite sure. I think your units might have started having problems when you updated to 6.3e, which likely happened automatically.

Definitely don't use standby, and you might want to just wait for a software update.
              So it sounds like I had a previous OS version which got automatically updated to 6.3 e and I started having problems. After I replaced the drives, it was fine until the system updated the OS again.

WK-Michael mentioned an OS update to 6.3.f. Is there a way to get this update and does it address this issue?

Thanks so much.

Comment

You basically have to just get a dial-in to authorize the update. It does seem to help significantly with this issue.

Are you connected to a phone line?

Comment

Both units are connected to a phone line.

Is there a special sequence to "force" a dial-in other than the "System Test" feature and is there something else I need to do after the forced dial-in?

I did the system test but it did not update the OS (as of the time I walked away from the unit).

I have them both "ON" (i.e. not on standby) for now.

Comment

A regular dial-in is really all you can do.

Comment

Working...
                    X