Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How best to start with Tivo and DirecTv

A bit of background

I've got a 10year old 60 inch Hitcachi Ultravision standard definition tv that's showing signs of age (the picture jitters and jumps when it's first turned on and I was told the power board is going out and was told the repairs would not be cost effective) so I may be getting a new TV soon.

I'd like to get digital TV service with a dvr and am thinking of Directv or the TimeWarners Digital service.

I wasn't impressed with the DVR offered by Directtv and havn't seen what TW has to offer.

Googling Tivo lead me to Weakees and this forum and from what people are saying it sounds like I'd want a Tivo based DVR.

I'm going to keep my existing tv for as long as I can stand it, that may be next week to a year at which point I'll upgrade to HD.

Assuming I go with DirecTv I'd like to be able to figure out the following

1) Is it worth getting the HD Tivo right now with just a standard definition tv or go with something like the Tivo R10?

2) Should I get DirecTv through Weakness or go directly to DirectTv (pun unintended)?

From the sounds of it, if I get the equipment through Weaknees I may have to pay DirecTv for part or all of the install but if I order through DirecTv I'd have to accept their DVR.

At this point, DirecTV stopped making new DVRs with TiVo. We still have many SD units but the HD units are all gone. If you want SD only, we can help you out. DirecTV has neither, so you'd get their generic DVR if you went through them, and we've pretty much only heard of negative experiences with that unit.

How many rooms are you looking to install? We should be able to get you a pretty good deal on a new install with an SD unit.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by WK-Michael View Post

...snip...

How many rooms are you looking to install? We should be able to get you a pretty good deal on a new install with an SD unit.
      Two rooms for sure, but a third room is possible.

Too bad about the loss of the HD DirecTv Tivo. I guess I'm out of luck when I get my HD TV

Comment

OK - if you want to give us a call (888 932-5633) we should be able to set you up as a new DirecTV customer with TiVo DVRs.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X