No announcement yet.

End of NTSC over air lifetime service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of NTSC over air lifetime service?

I presently own two tivo series 1 units and have been a lifetime subscriber to the service for many years. Will Tivo make some accommodation to users who still have antennas, love tivo, and will need to purchase new over-the-air reception starting February 2009, when analog TV is slated to disappear? I purchased and tranferred in one attempt and found that the Series 2 does not receive antenna inputs...had to return unit. I do not want to purchase cable or dish as I am in a very good reception area for over-the-air reception.

We still have standard definition TiVos that can do OTA:

http://www.weaknees.com/dvd-tivo.php

Beyond that, we expect TiVo to support the converter boxes that should be available to tune digital channels and convert them to analog.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

NTSC vs Digital TV

Technically, it would be almost impossible to use a converter on the front of an old tivo unit. There is no interface available out of the original Tivo units to tune the channel of the new "converter" box. The converter box would have to have most of the intelligence built into the original unit minus the hard drive. You would then have the old tivo unit just record at the appropriate same times that the new, channnel changing conveter box. Financially, why would Tivo take such a hit if they don't have to?

Comment

Originally posted by thehobe View Post
        Technically, it would be almost impossible to use a converter on the front of an old tivo unit. There is no interface available out of the original Tivo units to tune the channel of the new "converter" box. The converter box would have to have most of the intelligence built into the original unit minus the hard drive. You would then have the old tivo unit just record at the appropriate same times that the new, channnel changing conveter box. Financially, why would Tivo take such a hit if they don't have to?
        I don't quite understand. Seems to me that the TiVo would control the converter box just as it now controls a cable or satellite box.

Comment

Working...
        X