Apple TV Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple TV Overheating

I sent in my Apple TV for the 160Gb upgrade and it worked great for a few months, but now it seems to be overheating. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it but there will be times when it locks up and reboots or will just hang on the apple start up screen. It is almost too hot to touch but I end up propping it up with binder clips and this seems to do the trick.

I have an "open" AV stand and none of the other components are even warm to the touch when in use.

Any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Maybe the drive is failing - otherwise, our drives generally create less heat than the stock drives. Could there be dust on the vents? Is it on top of a hot unit?

We haven't seen overheating in these. Does the message specifically state that?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Stupid question, where are the vents? if this is the small space on the bottom between the rubber the sides, this is clear.

It sits on top of a oppo dvd player but it is cool to the touch anytime the Apple TV reboots.

I don't get any messages, the system just hangs and then reboots. I have noticed that it take longer to scroll through a listing. Is there anyway to test if a the drive is failing?

Comment

That does sound more like a drive failure - which could be a result of overheating, but more likely the drive is just failing.

Yes, the vents are those small slits on the bottom.

Comment

Do I have any recourse to test if the drive is failing? My upgrade was U204037 around September 2007, am I out of luck for the warranty?

Comment

That's still in warranty. Email us: [email protected].

Comment

Working...
            X