What happened!!??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened!!??

I started with a working 80 gig from a 540 and ended up with a clunking 80 gig, no working backups, and no copies. I'm trying to upgrade an 80 gig to 250 and keep the 80 as a backup in case of failure.

I used the mfsbackup|restore a couple of times, that made disk that went in the power/almost there loop. Then I partitioned and formatted a drive with Fat32, mfsbackup to that drive and mfsrestore to the new drive, several times. Finally, I used dd to make a copy, got an error. Used dd con=.. and got lots of block errors and some light drive clicking. This bothered me since it was a first and I stopped it(Ctrl-C or something). Put the old drive in TiVo and got GSOD or persistent thunking.

I've been very careful with the original drive since I could get a working backup. What happened with the mfsbackup/restore and how did dd kill the drive?

At this point what are my options to get a working TiVo? This is an out of town friends box that I would like to return by 12/26/06.

mkdir /mnt/dos
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    umount -f -a -r
    reboot
    <turn off>
    mfsrestore -s 250 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    umount -f -a -r
    reboot
    <turn off>
    <remove drive and put in TiVo to test>

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda bs=1024k

Sounds like the original drive is just in a state of failure. The more you use it (writing or reading) the more it fails. So the dd must have been enough to push it to the edge.

At this point, or best recommendation is to just buy a preformatted drive kit for this model TiVo. Makes a great Xmas present for your friend.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So, the replacement drive will work make it like a new TiVo, but with the existing Lifetime Service, under the right account?

Comment

Exactly right.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X