Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HR 20 700 is this our only future for HD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HR 20 700 is this our only future for HD?

Please tell me that there is a plan for a TIVO verison of this horrible new machine from Directv? If not does Weaknees plan on offering any upgrades for this DVR?

Here's the bad news: no new TiVos are likely to come from DirecTV.

We really agree that DirecTV made a bad move in breaking ties with TiVo. The operators on the phone now claim it was TiVo that made the break. It may just be a defense tactic, but it's also possible TiVo wanted too much to keep the deal going.

But in any event, our toll-free number rings non-stop with people complaining about the generic DVRs from DirecTV. It's getting crazy.

We actually will try to get a stable upgrade going for the unit. But that doesn't really help in the bigger picture. More capacity doesn't change the bad interface.

Since this looks like the way it will be from here, all we can say is that we advise people who want TiVo to switch to cable and get the excellent TiVo Series3.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Any idea to whom we can write to beg for more Direct Tivo units?

Comment

Originally posted by bgshapiro View Post
        Any idea to whom we can write to beg for more Direct Tivo units?
        I believe you can contact DIRECTV through their website at http://www.directv.com

Comment

TiVo

FYI-
          My Bro-in-law just had a non HD TiVo DirecTV unit shipped to his place (along with HR-20HD DVR #3).
          So far this HR-20 has performed without losing sound to all but locals, and without constantly rebooting itself. His fingers are still crossed.

Comment

I think we all can write DirecTV and tell them what a piece of junk for a DVR they've made. The user interface is impossible, and picture freeze is rampant. Don't try to replay that last great catch on the Sunday Ticket you just saw...it'll freeze up, I guarantee it...

Comment

We're all hoping that with Rupert Murdoch out of the picture, TiVo might come back, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Comment

Why is it unlikely?

With Rupert gone-There is on l onger a bias against TIVO. I can't believe that Direct TV is that naive to not be aware of the limitations of their product to the point that subscribers are fleeing. At the same time, you think TIVO would have interest in cutting some kind of deal with Direct TV in order to get access to their large installed user base.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts as to why it is unlikely to happen.
                Last edited by bgshapiro; 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM. Reason: Add more

Comment

Two reasons it's unlikely to happen:

1 - TiVo sees the revenue from such a deal as small and DTV sees it as large. This makes both parties relatively uninterested.

2 - DTV wants its DVRs to be the platform for a whole host of advanced services. Granted, they've been saying this for years, but at least it's more likely if the software is under their control completely.

Comment

Working...
                  X