Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading series 2 DT from older S2 upgraded (2 drives)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading series 2 DT from older S2 upgraded (2 drives)

So, here's the issue:

I have a series 2 tivo that I upgraded to two drives a long time ago. My service was deactivated (long story). I'm thinking of re-activating, but I'm considering getting a newer S2 DT model. If I do, I'd like to get the recordings off the original tivo (2 drives), and then upgrade the new model.

Is there anyway to do this without reactivating the old box and using TivoToGo?

Thanks.

No - not really. If you don't reactivate the old box, there's really nothing you can do with it.

If you get a new unit, you may be able to reactivate the old unit as a secondary for a short period of time. I'm not sure what the rule is for minimum activation period for a used, secondary unit. It may be nonexistent, so you could just do it for a month for $7.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

re:

got it. thanks.

Also, the new series 2 DT boxes only allow for one HD?

Comment

The new Series2 dual-tuner boxes can take two drives with a TwinBreeze bracket.

Comment

Can 2 drives be installed in a 649080? My understanding is that you can only have a single drive because of the 2nd tuner. If it is possible, can I "simply" install the Twinbreeze with the original drive plus new drive, set the jumpers? Also, is there a recommendation as to which drive (original or new) should be the master?

Comment

Yes, you can definitely have a second drive in the 649080. We have brackets for that unit here and drive kits for that unit here.

On the drive kits, we format them and set the jumper for you. If you use your own drive, you need to do the Linux preparation first. Just setting the jumper won't do the trick.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

second hard drive

I have a Direct tv tivo and have disconected my service, I have now a new seires 2 tivo with cable, can I take my old hard drive out of my direct tivo and install it as a secoond drive on my new seires 2 and let the tivo service install the latest upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by bsuttonmci View Post
                I have a Direct tv tivo and have disconected my service, I have now a new seires 2 tivo with cable, can I take my old hard drive out of my direct tivo and install it as a secoond drive on my new seires 2 and let the tivo service install the latest upgrade
                You cannot move a drive from one TiVo to another without reprogramming the drive.

Comment

Working...
                X