Starting from Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting from Scratch

I recently upgraded my S2 DirecTV Tivo unit with a new A drive (old A was failing and I'd already added B about 6 months ago). Copied over from the old A and everything worked fine. Until the new A drive started to fail. Unfortunately I'd already reformatted the old A and ran some tests on it so I've erased anything that was there. I had nothing to copy the failing A drive to, so I sent it back to Hinsdale and I received the replacement today. Installed it in the Tivo and get nothing, no booting at all, so I'm assuming I have a completely blank drive.

Not sure where to start. All the instructions I find talk about using mfstools to copy the contents over from the old drive, and I'm assuming that includes any Tivo software. What do I need to install the Tivo software on the drive so I can marry it to the B drive using mfstools? Thanks for any help.

John

See the other thread - I suggest you contact the vendor.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

OK, I solved this problem and got going again with both hard drives merged. Unfortunately, the system keeps freezing on me, requiring an unplug and reboot to get going again. The freezing was happening every 24 hours or so, making the system essentially unusable, so it's been off for a few weeks now. Someone at work suggested possibly that the power supply isn't strong enough to handle both drives. Has this ever been identified as an issue? The box is an RCA DirecTV Tivo box, started out as a 70-hour system, I added one 200GB drive, then when the primary started to fail (I thought) I replaced it with a second 200GB drive. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Usually that kind of problem is either a bad image on the drives, or a bad drive. The power supply in there is 78 watts - plenty for two drives plus the rest of the components.
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
        X