will it work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will it work

I have the new slim line direct TV dish. There are 4 leads that come from the dish that connect into the multiswitch box. My house cables are then connected to the multiswitch box in the garage, where all the cables come together in one box. The cable wires were installed in the house 17 years ago when the house was built. I think its R59, not R6 as is used now. In the house I have TV in 5 rooms but could get by with 4. I have moved my dvr from the TV room to in the bedroom. For various reasons, running a second line to the bedroom is not feasible. The SWM system looks like it might be a solution to this problem. However my direct TV installer, Ironwood Communications, says they won't do it. I'm hesitant to try it myself although it looks like I could. My dvr is an hr21-700. I have 3 boxes that are hr21-100. My 5th box, the oldest, is an hr20-100. All are hi def and I have hi def access. The line to the bedroom is about 85 feet long and seems to work great with the dvr.

My questions are 1) will the swm system work in my house, and if so, which items do I need to purchase
    2) Are there any installers who will do this for me I live in La Quinta, CA 92253. 3) Does Direct TV have any plans to have installers able to do this. 4)Will Ironwood, my Direct TV installer, come out and fix my installation if I mess it up. I took their $6.00 per month installation insurance plan but may cancel it in a few months if there are no problems. So far there hasn't been any. And 5) If I the swn system does not work, is there a trial time in which I can return it.

It seems your forum offers good technical assistance, which gives me a lot confidence that I could do the job myself. The wiring doesn't look that complicated. It seems like just installing a new multifunction box and plugging the wires into it instead of the one that is there now.

I appreciate whatever help you can offer.

Yes, the SWM should work for you no problem.

You may actually need two, due to the number of DVRs. Or you could split the lines going from the dish to the SWM and the existing multiswitch. See the wiring diagram here:

http://www.weaknees.com/pdf/swm-wb68.pdf

We sell all of the parts for that situation.

Most installers haven't been trained on this equipment, so they're reluctant to work with it. But armed with that diagram and our tech support, you should be able to install this yourself without a problem. You can return it within 30 days, although I will say, for a new product, we get surprisingly few returns on these. They're really pretty flawless.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X