Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philips DSR6000 - Single to 2 Drive Replacement - Stuck in Welcome... Powering Up...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips DSR6000 - Single to 2 Drive Replacement - Stuck in Welcome... Powering Up...

Greetings. I purchased a drive upgrade/replacement kit this past week to replace the stock/old Fireball with 2 shiney 160GB drives. Painless install. My DSR6000 had the workings to handle two drives already. Buttoned it up and powered it up and I'd see the grey screen with "Welcome... Powering Up..." displayed and never went beyond that after 30 minutes. Opened it up, reseated. Same thing. Swapped the IDE cable with the one that came with the kit. Same thing. Used the power splitter that came with the kit. Same thing. Checked the master jumper on drive A and lost it in the process (tweazers had bad grip so it went ballistic on me) so I used the one that came in the kit. No change. Put the original IDE cable and Fireball back in. Up she came, failing bearing noises at all.

This is a R01 Philips DSR 6000 with V3.5c software. I assume I bought a drop in replacement kit although I did have thoughts of going through the motions to backup the Fireball and restore to two drives but figured a clean start was better.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Dan

My best guess is that there's an issue with the new drives.

What's your order number?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

The order # is 485752.

Halfway tempted to just return this and opt for a refurbed Series 2 DirecTivo box especially if I can connect it to a network.

Comment

That looks right. We can get the drives back here for testing, or you can get a new unit. The "series 2" DirecTV units aren't the same as standalone Series 2 units, and they don't network like the standalones.

Comment

Drats on the lack of network capability on the DirecTV series 2 box. I guess that counts out buying a refurb receiver.

At any rate, I can ship the drives back tomorrow to see what's up with them. Do I need an RMA number?

Comment

Yes - we've just emailed you a repair number with full shipping info.

Comment

Thanks! I've got everything ready to ship it tomorrow. Thanks for the support!

Comment

Reformatted drives received, installed and up lickety split. The only problem I had was the DSR6000 getting stuck at 28% while confirming the dish setup/checking with the satellites. But a quick Google showed this to be a common thing and to disconnect the satellite inputs while going through the guided setup. She's up and running with 259 hours available. Woot!

Thanks for the great support!

Comment

Yup - here's the 28% page, for anyone else who needs it:

http://www.weaknees.com/directv_problems.php

Comment

Working...
                  X