just me? selecting/spelling out a movie you're looking for now take forever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just me? selecting/spelling out a movie you're looking for now take forever

is it just me or do other people w/the series 3 tivo now have to wait 5 seconds in betw. each letter of a movie or actor or whatever you're trying to spell out?

is this a glitch for just my series 3 or have others encountered it (talked about it here?) as well? in other words, is this how it is on the series 3, or is my unit broken in some way?

it usta do this ultra quick; now it takes forever between letters, w/that annoying "please wait"

i called up a weak knees tech support guy and he said, maybe i want to totally wipe the hard drive - - yikes! (lose all my shows & settings) and see if that fixes it. a bit drastic. i don't think this was one of their more experienced tech support guys (generally their tech guys are very good)

anyway, is this just me? or the way of series 3?

thanks
    Last edited by smileLP; 12-19-2006, 10:11 PM.

Have you tried just rebooting the unit?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

if by rebooting the unit you mean unplugging it and plugging it back in again, i have actually had to do that a few times (for various reasons). the slow letter-selecting remains.

does that count as rebooting?

Comment

Yup - that's it. Then you might try the "clear and delete guide data" option to see if this is due to corruption.

Comment

ok, i'll give that a try

Comment

i'm sorry to say that i cleared all the guide data (took an hour) and then re-loaded it (2 hrs), but the problem remains. spelling out a movie, or actor, involves a 5 second "please wait" after selecting each letter. also, were i to scroll to the right, into the list of movie titles, to then scroll up or down gives me the same 5 second please wait. (this didn't happen w/my old series 2 which was instantaneous in these areas.) any further suggestions? (have you even heard of this problem w/other series 3 tivos before?)

Comment

We really haven't seen this elsewhere . . .

Comment

would it be possible for you to research possible causes - - and solutions?

it's really annoying to have to wait 5 seconds between each letter when spelling out a movie

any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Comment

Sorry to say, but the next step is really to do a "clear and delete everything" and see if that fixes the issue.

Comment

michael...

(he's baaaacccckkkk) ; )

found this post from a while back:

>>I have directv tivo and it keeps getting slower. I am being told the harddrive is crashing. Is this true - if so - can it be replaced? Thanks.<<

is it possible that my tivo being really slow choosing letters to spell out movies, etc. is related to a bad HD? also, i have tried everything to get rid of these "ghost images" that appear on HD channels when set at 1080i (but don't appear at 720). might THAT be related to HD probs.?

sorry, but i'm still grasping for answers here cuz i wanna keep my beloved tivo, but the ghost images are almost enuf to make me pack the sucker up

so what about any HD relevance? (btw, you guys were nice enuf to send me a SECOND tivo as an experiment, and it too had the ghost lines, so it's unlikely 2 bad HD's right?) what about the speed issue? are you hearing that the series 3 is slow w/the spelling out, or, like this thread sez, is it just me? possible HD issue?

ok. done.

Comment

Me too...

This just started happening last night to me, in conjunction with another problem. Not only is the thing verrrrry slow, but not all programs appear in the searchable titles list. For example, last night, I searched for 24 and The Office, and neither were found (although you could see where, alphabetically, they should fit). The overall list was strangely abbreviated, and it took forever for each individual letter input to register.

Comment

Working...
                      X