Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgrading problems

Hi,

I have an HR10-250 with original 250GB drive, and weaknees twinbreeze with additinal 400GB drive (650GB total). Had some reboot problems, decided it was time to upgrade to dual 750GB drives, and I want to preserve my programs.

It looks like partitions 14,15 are free on the 250GB, and maybe 4 partitions free on the 400GB drive, so I would expect mfsadd to be ok. (mfsinfo says I can upgrade 3 more times, which makes sense; once on the 250, twice on the 400).

dd from old to new works (Tivo likes the new drives), but when I try to do mfsadd, it gives something like a write fault error and the drives are no longer usable until I start over (takes a long time).

So I want to try mfsbackup | mfsrestore, but then I need 4 free IDE's. I have a 2nd IDE controller, but but the CDROM won't boot from it, only from the integrated controller. It boots fine, but then says "can't find CDROM", perhaps because /dev/hda-/dev/hdd are on the 2nd ide, and the CDROM is on /dev/hde. I tried same thing with USB attached CDROM and one IDE, and got same problem. Linux boots, but can't mount the CDROM. Same thing using an old SCSI disk & card. I tried everything here, it doesn't work.

Next would be to try to backup from the old drives to a file on a new large drive, but instructions say it must be FAT32, which is much too small (the backup will be about 580GB). Could I format the drive as ext3 and use it? Perhaps MFSbackup can't handle that large a file, but if I use "-" and "> huge.bkf" maybe it would work?

I have a fedora core 3 boot CD which boots fine even with the extra ide controller, but when I try to run mfstools (which I put on a floppy!), it crashes. mfstools is about 500k, so it is the statically linked one. I am not postive I was root, so that could be the problem.

Any other ideas/suggestions? My goal is simple: upgrade from 250+400 to new 750+750, while preserving all the content.

Thanks,

jschmidt

I'm not sure why the dd method doesn't work, unless you have bad drives.

Have you tried booting the 750+750 after the two dds (but before the expansion) to be sure they boot? If so, then a simple mfsadd should work at that point.

Comment

The dd part works and the drives look good (including content) on the Tivo. However, the subsequent does not work.
      Thanks,
      Johannes.

Comment

So they boot, then you do the 'mfsadd' then they don't work? What does the mfsadd say? Are you being sure to include the "-r 4"?
        Been here a long time . . .

Comment

So close, but still no luck

I finally figured out how to do backup/restore. I booted a Knoppix CD (hda) from the built-in IDE and it can see all the drives on the IDE add-in card (hde-hdh). I put the old drives on hde/hdf and new ones on hdg/hdh. I then used mount.cifs to mount a network drive onto which I had copied the mfstool file from the weakness cd. Then the backup/restore:

./mfstool backup -Tao - /dev/hde /dev/hdf | ./mfstool restore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi
          - /dev/hdg /dev/hdh
          Scanning source drive. Please wait a moment.
          Source drive size is 281 hours
          - Upgraded to 761 hours
          Uncompressed backup size: 571287 megabytes
          Starting restore571287 megabytes (0.00%)
          Uncompressed backup size: 571287 megabytes
          Backing up 571287 of 571287 megabytes (100.00%)
          Backup done!
          Restoring 571287 of 571287 megabytes (100.00%)
          Cleaning up restore. Please wait a moment.
          Restore done!
          Adding pair /dev/hdg14-/dev/hdg15
          New estimated standalone size: 1360 hours (599 more)
          Adding pair /dev/hdh4-/dev/hdh5
          mfs_add_volume_pair: Error adding new volumes to set.
          Drive B expansion failed.

Yuck! After waiting all day for the copy, "Drive B expansion failed", and after that mfsinfo on the new pair shows nothing. Below is mfsinfo for old pair and new pair:

root@Knoppix:/tmp/temp/tivo# ./mfstool info /dev/hde /dev/hdf
          MFS volume set for /dev/hde and /dev/hdf
          The MFS volume set contains 6 partitions
          /dev/hde10
          MFS Partition Size: 512MiB
          /dev/hde11
          MFS Partition Size: 105513MiB
          /dev/hde12
          MFS Partition Size: 512MiB
          /dev/hde13
          MFS Partition Size: 131161MiB
          /dev/hdf2
          MFS Partition Size: 4MiB
          /dev/hdf3
          MFS Partition Size: 381550MiB
          Total MFS volume size: 619252MiB
          Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 761
          This MFS volume may be expanded 3 more times
          root@Knoppix:/tmp/temp/tivo# ./mfstool info /dev/hdg /dev/hdh
          root@Knoppix:/tmp/temp/tivo#

The only thing I can think of trying is using dd again to copy, manually add the partitions (with pdisk or fdisk??), then adding the specific partitions with mfsadd. However, I haven't found info on how to us pdisk/fdisk, but I didn't look that much yet either.

Please help before I go crazy . Seriously, I'm running out of options. All I have is a factory 250GB and an added 400GB created using instantcake.

Also, I'm wondering if I should use dd and then try mfsadd on each one individually. (I see the capitalized -X option, but I would think you'd still need to specify both drives, but maybe not??? How do you increase space on only one of the drives?).

Thanks!!
          Last edited by jschmidt; 07-01-2008, 08:36 PM. Reason: accidentally hit save before

Comment

Everything you've done looks right. I think, frankly, your new B drive is just bad. You could try the same command again without the "x" in the restore string, since that's where it had the problem, or you could do the dds and the mfsadd (yes, the capital X allows you to specify only one drive for expansion), but I really think you have a destination media issue.

Maybe try a backup/restore without recordings to each drive and see if those drives boot. I really doubt they both will - likely the B drive won't.
            Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
            X