RCA Dvd recorder crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCA Dvd recorder crashing

I bought an RCS DVC8060N from weaKnees last December. I've encountered an issue I can't find discussed anywhere and thought I'd ask here.

A few weeks ago I recorded 2 1-hour shows on a DVD+RW, and then ejected it. Last night I added another episode to that DVD+RW. Now the unit won't play any of the episodes, it just stays in the menu. It also isn't displaying the preview image. When I tried to eject, it hung on the 'updating...' line for quite a while (and wouldn't respond to the remote or the front panel, either, not even the poweroff button.) Just as I was pulling the center apart to get to the power cord, it suddenly started reacting to all the button's I'd pushed, and recovered. I then tried the 'disk options/make compatible' option, and it crashed hard and I did have to pull the power plug.

This platter is from the box of RW platters I ordered at the same time as the unit itself, and the other 7 haven't had any trouble. Is this a bad platter? Will erasing it solve the problem? I've already deleted the first 2 episodes from my TiVo but I'm thinking erasure is the next step. :/

Have you heard of the unit brainfarting on its own DVD's before? This is the first time I've had trouble recording on a platter and the troubleshooting page in the manual didn't seem to have anything similar to this problem. The recorder didn't display any error messages at all, it just stopped playing the episodes already on the disc, as well as the episode I'd just added.

Last edited by gyles19; 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar fixup

We really haven't seen that, but it sure does sound like just one bad disc.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Working...
    X