First timer - thought it would be smoother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer - thought it would be smoother

Sorry to have so little detail on some of the initial steps, I didn't write the errors down as I worked through them. Most are probably irrelevant, but I wanted to provide the history. I used the correct drive designations, but I have moved the drives so much at this point, I don't want to recreate them so I'm just listing the generic instruction:

Upgrading Tivo 540040, from a too-noisy Maxtor Quickview 40GB to single Seagate DB35 250 GB, with temporary 30GB fat32 partition for backup.

Started with the weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso. The Maxtor drive showed around a 33GB capacity, but it wasn't locked.

"mount /dev/hdZ1 /mnt" gave me the "kmod: failed to exec" error, but I forged ahead, then

"mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/backup.bak /dev/hdX /dev/hdY" seemed to hang at somewhere around 49% and the cursor would flash along the bottom of the screen. (Tried more than once with different sized fat32 partitions, hung at the same place.)

Found a few threads with suggestions: I couldn't find the weaknees_sata.iso and another thread suggested "Tiger's Mfs Tools Boot CD (MFSLBA48.iso), linked to on the Hinsdale" site so I used that.

mkdir /mnt/dos
    mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
    mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

All golden, got a very large, currently untested backup, which is now safe on my Windows drive.

Then I issued the "Command to copy/expand from single drive to new single larger A drive:"

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -r 4 -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda

Everything seemed to go perfectly, but the last two lines on the screen read:
    Adding pair /dev/hda14-/dev/hda15
    New estimated standalone size: 282 hours (242 more)

I'm not a Linux person, but I didn't think I'd issued any add command. I want to replace the noisy drive, not expand it. How do I get where I need to go from here? At this point, the new large drive is Primary Master and the old Tivo drive is Secondary Master.

Also, this is a refurbished unit, hence previously opened, so I figured I could shelve the untouched 40GB and put it back in the unit if I ever needed the unit replaced through Tivo again. (Although I'm sure there are other signs I've been messing around.) Is my thinking sound? Have I now done something to the drive and can I undo it?

Thanks and Happy 4th!
    Kelly

Me again

Update: I tried each drive as a stand-alone and both worked and had all my recordings listed. The only thing that seems off is that the new larger drive, lists the capacity as 282 hours. If I'm reading the confirmation correctly, it should only be 242 hours and that, if added to the original drive, it would be 282. Am I going to have problems? Do I have a false sense of victory since they both booted and displayed the shows?

Comment

I think 282 is about right for a 250gb drive.

Comment

Working...
      X