Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something?

I just moved to a new house where the previous owner had a dish on the roof with one line coming into the house. I really don't want to run a second wire for my directv dvr, so I am reading up about SWM's and it sounds exactly what I need. However, when I look at the wiring diagram I see four wires coming from the dish into the SWM (?). I thought the point of the SWM was that you could run off of only one wire? Thanks for any input.

Right - four from the dish to the SWM, which can be outside, then one wire from the SWM inside to the power, splitters, units, whatever.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Ok, so I could have the SWM right at the dish and have one wire come in the house and split them off to different receivers? I only have the one dvr now so I need only two inputs, but am looking at adding an additional two dvr's. This brings up another concern - if I have the SWM outside and wanted to run say 6 inputs ( 3 DVR's X 2 inputs per DVR), I woul dhave to run more than one wire from the SWM inside the house, would I not? Thanks again

Comment

Upon further reading it looks like the one line from the SWM into the house could be further split into more outputs (depending on splitter purchased). If I got a 1X4 splitter, each wire coming from the splitter would still be a SWM line and thus could run a DVR with a single line (allowing to record two channels at once)?

Dish---SWM---1X4 Splitter ---3 DVR's with dual recording funcionality ??

Comment

That's exactly right. Once you have the signal inside the house, it's best to have the power inserter first, then split the signal wherever you want, if possible.
          Been here a long time . . .

Comment

Very nice, thanks for the help!

Comment

installed a SWM8 with 1x4 splitter two weeks ago. Works great. All inside. Single coax to each receiver and/or HD DVR. HD DVR can record one program while watching another with the single coax works just fine. The instructions that came with the switch don't tell you to "reset" the receivers via the red button. Use the reset button to reset the receivers/DVR and do not do anything else. Gary....

Comment

Working...
              X