swm + wb616

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swm + wb616

Ok, I've tried this a few times now. I just can't seem to use swm's and a wb616 split off of one AU9. The units powered by the Swm don't work on all polarities, or not at all. What is it I don't know I don't know?

We've fixed the issue by adding in a polarity locker before the splitters at each install.

Is this configuration accurate and should work? :
    Au9
    4 hifreq splitters
    Swm8/Zinwell wb616
    reciever

So long as the lines out of the 1x2 splitters are going into the proper inputs of the switches (each splitter must have outputs going to the same input on the two switches), then this should work fine *in theory*....

However, if you have too much loss after the splitters, and too much pull from your 6x16 and SWM, then that would explain the problem. If locking the polarities down works, then that is probably what's going on.

Comment

That's what I guessed. So far, we've been pushing the distance limitations on swm installs. I even tried a "headend" test without the polarity locker, and it didn't work either. The only thing out of spec from the recomendations was the distance from dish to Swm, and that wasn't by much.

I used blonder tounge lpd2's, should i be using some special swm splitter for the dish split?

Comment

The <40ft spec is really old and not a true requirement; you can have the swm mounted further from the dish if you need to.

There is also an amp that can be used between the polarity locker and the SWM if you have particularly long runs and/or many receivers (and multiple swms), although the amp is rarely necessary.

We used high-frequency, power passing splitters and they work very well in this situation. I am not familiar with the part you mention.

For our splitters, see:

DIRECTV Splitter for Multiple SWMs

For two-SWM installs, we strongly recommend the SWM Expander, which we also stock now.

Comment

We've been using a new type of polarity locker that has a 20db gain, but yes it's rarely ever truly called for. And as the swm's seem to have a regulated output, we don't really see the benifits as we do on the wb616 side.

The splitters you offer look identical to the blonder tounge version, with power passing on one side... my guess is they come from the same bin with different names.

I was looking at those expanders earlier, what are the advantages of using them? It's still 8 recievers per wire correct? And if I'm seeing it correctly only needs one power supply per set? Otherwise, it looks to me like a "guess-work eliminator", right?

Comment

The Expander significantly reduces the db loss from 4 HF splitters. Our splitters, BTW, are power passing on both sides.

Right--only one power supply per expander.

There is also a 4-SWM version.

Comment

I see! I'll have to give them a try. Thank you very much again

Comment

Working...
              X