Possible power supply problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible power supply problem?

I have an RCA DVR-80. It stays on the Welcome Powering Up screen for several minutes, then the screen goes black for a second and then it goes back to the Welcome screen. Cycle repeats.

Thinking it was the drive, I imaged a good drive and put it in. Same behavior. But since I had the box open when I tested the new drive, I could hear what was happening. After plugging it in, I can hear the drive crunching (the good crunching sound) like it's working and booting. When the screen goes black, I hear both the drive and the fan lower in speed - as if they suddenly weren't getting sufficient voltage. So I'm guessing that when the Tivo is ready to turn on the video, the power supply isn't up to the task. Sound reasonable? Should I order a new power supply?

Thanks.

Tim

What image did you put on the new drive?

Did you test the factory drive to see if it was working OK?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I used the InstantCake Cd from DVRUpgrade which gave me 6.2.

I didn't run a HD test against the original drive... I'll do that today.

Comment

I ran the WD hard disk tests (Quick and Extended) on the original drive, both came back with no errors, reporting the disk is fine.

I also checked the voltage going to the hard disk, and they were exactly 5v and 12v.

Any thoughts? Still possibly the power supply?

Comment

Could be a power supply, but it really still sounds like a drive.

Are you re-imaging the same drive, or a new drive?

Comment

brand new drive.

i haven't touched the original drive, other than running the diag tests on it.

Comment

OK - then a power supply is the next logical step.

Comment

i ordered a bare directivo from you... it wasn't that much more and it eliminates the possibility of it being the motherboard. thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                X