Confused about 5LNB and adding SWM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused about 5LNB and adding SWM

Guys, I am confused about how my dish is set up and exactly what I need to do to convert it to the SWM.

It seems everything I read talks about 4 RG6s coming of the dish. I just went up on my roof and I don't have 4, I have 3.

Also, I'm concerned about the grounding. There is a grounding block the antenna is ties to... but then it goes no place.

The Directv yahoo that installed this thing did not do much of anything right when he installed it just last Nov. It was not set up as a 5 LNB... I had to do that a few days later when I had time and finally figured it out. On top of that, it was not aimed with a darn... we had signals of 30 to 50 on some transponders, so we either had no picture or a very unreliable picture until a second tech could make it out weeks later to aim it correctly.

We are tearing a couple rooms up and doing some remodeling now, so it is the perfect time to fix a few things.

The house has a structured wiring setup but it only has a single RG6 run between various rooms and the central panel. When dufus installed the Directv setup last year, he ran a double RG6 to our family room HR21 and I guess he then took the third connection and ran it into the central panel as I have a HD rx hooked up in the bedroom and it is plugged into the outlet from the panel.

Anyway... I don't understand why I have just 3 coaxs off the antenna... but as best I can see, I have a fully functioning HD set up.

What I would like to do is use the RG6 he is connected to that runs to the house panel to carry the signal inside to our wiring closet and then mount the SWM and needed hardware there... This is the AZ desert and now I don't recall exactly what the temp rating of the SWM is, but it gets hotter than heck here. I'd also like to connect a small antenna outside that I can use for OTA... Some of the local HD stations have sub channels which I'd like to get as well as FM for out entertainment system. There is another run of RG6 out to the roof which is not connected, but which was meant for an antenna and this also runs to the wiring closet.... and so I think I understand that I can feed that signal into the SWM and then all the output ports will have these combined signals...

I know this is sort of rambling, but I guess before I can do this, I have to figure out why I only have 3 coax up at the antenna.

If you look to where the coax connects, you'll see that there is a 4th place for a wire. You should have 4 and you can install the 4th yourself.

Comment

So I have to take the feed horn apart and connect the 4th RG6 in there?

Where can I find instructions on this?

Thanks Jeff!

Comment

Working...
      X