Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use Directv DVR in a spare room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use Directv DVR in a spare room?

I want to 'take the plunge' and replace my existing two Tivo units with Directv's new DVR's, but I have a problem and I cannot figure out how to accomplish the installation.

I currently have two series 2 RCA DVR40 Tivo units. One of the units is in our greatroom and right next to the master bedroom. I used the RCA DVR40 RF Out jack to run an RG6 cable to one of our spare bedrooms so I could watch my recorded shows after the wife went to bed. My confusion is that the new Directv DVR do not have an RF Out jack, so I cannot figure out how to keep watching my recorded shows late at night in another room

How can I use the new Directv DVR to record and show our TV shows, but still keep the ability to switch rooms?

I was really surprised while I was doing my research to check out what I would have to do to make it work to learn there was no RF Out jack. Other than buying a third DVR, does anyone have any ideas?

What DVR model are you looking at getting - the R16? Why would you move to it?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

DVR model HR22 or the newer model HR23

I would be switching to Directv's HD HR22 DVR using SWM, or maybe even the newer model HR23 if it is available when I make the switch.

I found some Directv training literature that shows the HR23 will be released sometime in 2008 with a 100 hour HD recording time. It also has the B-Band Converter (BBC) built in the unit. The HR23 is just like the HR22, but has the BBC included.
      Last edited by irish003; 08-18-2008, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Well, with the SWM, you don't use the B-band. So it must have something that disables it internally when it's not necessary. But I haven't seen any of that info.

But, as far as I know, there's no RF out on any of these.

Comment

Why dont you use a channel 3/4 modulator to accomplish this avail for about $20-25 at most radio shacks. You can set the remote to RF on the HR box for control then use the standard video out to go to the modulator just like you would do to hook a DVD up to a tv with av jacks.

Comment

We do have many customers using those for SD video . . .

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy View Post
              Why dont you use a channel 3/4 modulator to accomplish this avail for about $20-25 at most radio shacks. You can set the remote to RF on the HR box for control then use the standard video out to go to the modulator just like you would do to hook a DVD up to a tv with av jacks.
              Similarly, I have a wireless transmitter/receiver hooked up to my HR22 to display shows on an older TV when using the HDTV for other (gaming) purposes.

Comment

Working...
              X