SWM8 - issues w/no signal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SWM8 - issues w/no signal

I am installing a SWM8 and am running into a "no signal" issue. I was told that each line coming from the dish needs to be connected to a specific port on the SWM8 but have also read that it doesn't matter which line is connected to which port. Does it make a difference?

Also, how close does the SWM8 need to be to the dish? I have a 25' run in to my attic and would like to connect it there to avoid climbing up on the roof if/when problems arise.

My third question is regarding the splitters. I am assuming that I cannot run the single line from the Power Inserter to a Zinwell WB68 and use it as my splitter?

Finally, should I be able to see a light on inside the Power Inserter? I read that there shoudl be one, but when I plug it in I don't see a light.

Thanks for the help.

If you only have one SWM8, and no other multiswitch on the dish, you can plug the cables into any ports.

25 feet is fine.

Right - you can NOT run a Zinwell off the SWM8.

There is a light on the power inserter. Have you tried it at a different outlet?
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

I have tried plugging it in to other outlets, but still no light. The PI (stock DTV) unit I have has no light on the outside. The lite should be visible through the vents, correct?

Comment

What's the model number of your PI?

Comment

It is a PI-28. Should I be able to see a light on inside when plugged in? I assume that the light would go on even if the coax cables are not plugged in.

Comment

The light isn't on the outside, it's inside, and glows through the vents. It'll work even without anything else connected.

Comment

Definitely no light. Guess I got a bad one.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Ok, I now have a replacement PI and the light is on so I can assume it is working. However, I have tried 4-5 times connecting, configuring and reconnecting and still get the message that says Searching For Signal. Here are the steps I am taking:

1. disconnecting cable from back of IRD (HR21, SW ver 0x18a)
                2. removing BNC
                3. disconnecting all four lines from LNB to connectors in attic
                4. connecting all four lines to SWM (doesn't matter which, correct?)
                5. connecting a line from port 1 on SWM to red SWM connector on PI
                6. connecting a line from HR21 port 1 (left most if facing back of unit) to IRD port on PI
                7. going to setup on HR21 and choosing Slimline 5, SWM, Single (also tried double)
                8. Choosing Continue
                9. Pressing red reset button on front right of HR21

After reset, the system goes through setup, briefly flashes a red screen and continues setup. Ultimately it settles on Searching for Signal screen and never finds it.

The only thing I am considering is that the SWM might be too far from the dish. I thought it was about 25 ft. but after getting on the roof I saw that the installer left quite a bit of extra cable in the runs.

Help please!

Comment

I dont quite understand #3; what are the "connectors in attic"?

Also, are you sure you don't have a bad coax cable?

Have you tried connecting the power supply to SWM1 but connecting the DVR directly to SWM2?

It is also possible that you have a bad HR21 (bad destacker within the unit), which would mean the unit would work with a normal connection, but not with a SWM.

You aren't using a WB68 with the SWM, right?

Comment

The connectors in the attic are just the connections between the 4 lines from the LNB and the 4 lines running to the units in the rooms in my house.

I tried 2 different coax cables so I don't think that's it.

You are suggesting not connecting the HR21 to the IRD port on the PI (leaving empty?) and just connecting to the SWM2 port? That means the run will not be powered?

I will try connecting to my other HR21...

No, the WB68 is not connected.

Thanks again.

Comment

Right - the power only goes upstream from the PI to the SWM anyway; not down to the unit.

Comment

I am depressed... My SWM8 does not appear to be working. I have followed all the instructions carefully and still no signal. Not sure where to go from here. Do you think the SWM8 could be bad?

The only thing I am wondering about is the setup/reset procedure of the HR21. Can someone give me step by step instructions? Thx.

Comment

You do need to reset the HR21 (hit the little red button) and then be sure to choose 5LNB, and then, on the next screen, choose SWM if it doesn't auto-detect that.

Comment

Working...
                          X