Use of SWM with DirecTV system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use of SWM with DirecTV system

I have a recently moved and am having a problem with my DirecTV movers arrangement. My new home is brick with an existing older antenna. The problem is there are only two cables running from the exterior of the house to the central panel in the basement. One is available for the antenna and the second is for our internet service. To complicate matters more the house has been wired but in most cases only a single outlet/connection services each room. All of the cable runs either through the attic and / or behind finished walls, many insulated.

I am trying to avoid working behind the finished walls if possible, yet I want to keep my ability to watch and record on my HD DVR [HR20-700]. I also have an older TiVo DVR [R10] as well. Right now this is not going to be possible without trying to pull new cable. [we are also thinking of adding a third receiver]

From what I have been told a SWM is my answer. Unfortunately DirecTV has not been a lot of help. Since this is a single family residence with "existing service" they continue to state we do not need or qualify for this equipment.

The bottom line is that I may need to simply have DirecTV update my antenna and complete the rest on my own. Can you clairfy what SWM equipment I will need to make this work?

The SWM will work, but you'd either have to rely on one tuner on your R10, or you'd have to change out the R10 for a SWM-compatible DVR. You would install the SWM on the roof and would not have run additional wires, so long as all of the single-runs meet in the basement.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

I just want to make certain I understand everything correctly. I will need a standard antenna, mount the SWM at the antenna run the 4 cables from the antenna into the SWM and use the single cable that is currently present to run to my central junction in the basement. At the junction the signal from the single cable can be split to run to the individual rooms.

The newer DVR's can split the signal from the single cable internally so I can record one channel and watch the other.

Does the SWM require a power source?

Comment

You are confusing me by your use of the word "antenna". To me, this means "off-air antenna"...do you mean satellite dish? If so, you need a 5LNB DIRECTV satellite dish.

Yes, the SWM has a power supply, but it can be installed where your receiver is installed and it uses the single coax line coming from your roof.

Comment

Jeff,

Sorry for the confusion, yes I was referring to the dish. Thank you again for the clarification. I wasn't certain if the power supply for the SWM could be "remote" from the actual unit or not.

Comment

Working...
          X