Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiswitch for older dish ques

hey guys, great forum, lots a good info

here is my situation, I've had DirecTV for a couple years and I love it, SD only, no HD yet

we just moved to a new city and we were lucky (or so I thought at the time) to move into a house that had an existing dish installed on the roof. So, I make an appt with the free move service from dtv and they send a guy out to check on our dish and where the line(s) where routed to in the house. long story short, we have two incoming lines, one to the living room and one to the bedroom. now, we've only ever had just one D11 reciever ... so today, I head to the local best buy and pick up a R22, then head home and plop it in the tv stand and call dtv to activate it ... life is good, until i realize that there is only one line to it, not a big deal since it still works and all, but in the future I would like to take atvantage of the dual tuner features .... in my search for a quality multiswitch I come to the realization that I'm in over my head and that I know very little about what its going to take to make this happen without droping another line from the dish .... SO, here is my question, I know that I cannot use the fancy swm8 because I dont have a slim 5lnb dish (i think the dtv installer said I had an international dish?) so, is there a switch that I can use indoors with my current setup for my R22?

thanks in advance! -Matt

There's no switch to put two lines into one, except the SWM. The SWM will work with an international dish as long as you also have 5LNB, but you do need 5LNB.
    Been here a long time . . .

Comment

is there a way to tell thru the receiver if I have that or not ... I can't see much on the dish because its on the roof and i really don't want to climb up there haha ...

to be more specific, we are renting this house for one year until we find a place to buy that we like, so I am against running any more cables and investing in anything permanent ... idealy I would love to have something that I can plop on the floor in the living room to take my one coax run and switch it into two, directly at the R22 .....

Comment

I haven't looked in an R22, but I think it should show somewhere what dish it has, since it can get MPEG4 locals if it's a 5LNB dish.

Comment

in the system info menu of the R22 it lists the dish type as "slimline-5" which cannot be right, I must have messed that up when I was setting it up ... I got a look at the dish on the roof today and its def not an international dish, its round and has a 3LNB on it .. according to this website http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite...enna_types.asp it is a phase III dish ...... so, now, what can I do that won't involve running another line into my living room?

thanks for the info btw

Comment

The only way to avoid running a second line would be to upgrade to a 5LNB dish and then to get a SWM:

http://www.weaknees.com/swm

Comment

that sucks ... thats a lot of money when you take into consideration the alternative of running another coax line and also the fact that I don't have any HD recievers lol ... so just to clarify, there is absolutly no way to take one coax from the output of the built in multiswitch on the phase III tripple LNB dish and double it out right before the R22 ?

thanks again for all the info

edit: so there is no way to use the swm with my 3lnb dish? what happens if I try? why cant the swm8 just deal with only have the inputs from the dish without the hd sat signals and just forward them via one line to my R22 ?
              Last edited by pogbobo; 08-24-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

The SWM does not work with a 3LNB. You might want to see what DIRECTV would charge to upgrade your dish; it might not be so bad.

Comment

The SWM8 WILL work with a 3-lnb, my question is will your R22? The R22 was designed mainly for areas that have just started to receive SD locals from the 99/103 satellites, or for those people in areas receiving SD locals from 72.5 whose SD locals will be transferring to 99/103 later this year. If you get your SD locals from 101 or 119 (you don't say where you are located) then the 3-lnb dish will be fine and the SWM will work with it.
                  If you get your SD locals from 72.5 then DirecTV will upgrade you to a 5-lnb at some point before the SD locals move off 72.5.

Comment

I get DC locals, does that help?

Comment

Washington DC SD locals are on 101 so the R22 will work fine with a 3-lnb dish and the SWM8.

Comment

Working...
                      X